couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Johs Ensby <j...@b2w.com>
Subject Re: CouchDB users interview
Date Mon, 23 Mar 2015 15:16:05 GMT

> Anyone got any other ideas?
Noah,
yes: one or two really good word-of-mouth stories would be good!

promotion in social media is the new spam, but there is one thing that never goes out of fashion;
the word-of-mouth story.

It has what Malcolm Gladwell called "the anatomy of a rumour” in his Tipping Point (still
the best intro to network dynamics in my view and far better than all the gobble about viral
marketing)

A good word-of-mouth story puts the teller in the hero role.
They are hard to develop, but can take form here in the community: something like this...

“I discovered CouchDB in 19XX, and now it turns out that the BBC has… and CERN used it
for … Cloudant, a company recently acquired by IBM is said to have done so as part of their
agreed cooperation with Apple.”

No call for action, no “you should really take a look at this, because its to cool”, you
tell it just because it feels good to do so, and the one you told it to have the brains to
make the decision, or you dont bother telling.

When you have a good, true word-of-mouth story it travels through any media faster than anything
and it goes FAST. It has to do with 6-degrees-of-separations etc.
And moreover; it travels the path it need to travel to reach otherwise unreachable people
for lists like this or any activity we would cook up.

johs