couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Johs Ensby <j...@b2w.com>
Subject Re: CouchDB logo proposal
Date Sat, 07 Mar 2015 07:02:35 GMT
Nick,
I value negative feedback. Without it we move at half speed and sometimes in a completely
wrong direction.
I think your proposals are illustrative and valuable, therefore I appreciate your contribution.

>  If I post
> something/anything please just ignore it,

The discussion is a discussion, the open group is an open group and the topic is a logo, not
you or me.
We do this for CouchDB, not to feel good.

Your pitch for the last logo reads like this..
> The db symbol has two opposing couches , that face each other indicating a conversation
between the two.  The two vertical bars decorate the opposing couches so that a “db” is
formed, a natural fit for a database.  The harmony of the symbol is balanced with just enough
negative space to deconstruct the image to creating a mild Yin Yang effect.  It also demonstrates
a sense of connectedness, yet still being separated.
> The opposing couches/db symbol is placed on a red globe indicating the highly scalable,
and distributed nature of Couchdb 2.0+.

Furniture having a conversation and forming letters, harmony, deconstruction, a mild Yin and
Yang effect, separated connectedness indicating scalability with a globe (puh!)
This stack of symbolism takes so many detours that it can not possibly produce the same associations
in two brains.
I fail too see how it could strengthen the visual identity of CouchDB, I really think it would
kill it, hence, it is a really bad proposal.

Let me be equally grumpy to the people that have juggled slogans for the past months.
“Relax” and the couch is a brilliant idea. Why rip it apart.
The only explanation I have understood so far is that some think the guy on the couch is suggesting
something sexual (!)
Well, this previous suggestion actually is a solution to that

It goes in the opposite direction of the previous one that actually will NOT break the brand
building and discard the recognition already built over years that never come again:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwCSb3J9EzV3UEJ1SU41NWk2Q1E/view?pli=1

The guy on the couch is redundant with the word “relax” and gives the only meaning to
the symbol that is relevant, the symbol is just there to help people
recognise and
remember
the name.
Well done, Constantin Angheloiu and whoever contributed!
The sybolism (hard disks and curlybrackets) are as irrelevant as in Nicks Pitch, so if you
see an opportunity to distill it even further, please do!
Simpler is better when it comes to logos.

johs:)

PS
and Nick, just to make it crystal clear
I say this for the sake of CouchDB, not to make you happy or unhappy.