couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: CouchDB users interview
Date Sat, 28 Mar 2015 18:48:50 GMT
tl;dr: I’m not stopping anyone from proceeding with this. I just want to make sure that we
don’t end up with a high-profile proposal that nobody in this community can act on and that
wastes our precious time that could be used for more productive things.

marketing@ hat:

> On 28 Mar 2015, at 19:11, Johs Ensby <johs@b2w.com> wrote:
>
> Lena, when you say
>> When developing a strategy + approach for this, it would be good imo to elaborate
which different ways we can take to achieve what the general purpose of this is.

> I think it is happening.

I don’t see it.

> I think we could learn from the logo discussion that lead to a process that will support
a decision
> Making a case video with a big brand is a lot more complicated than a new sofa in the
logo, since they are serious about their external comms, so at this list we would need progress
on in our abilities to discuss processes

I think we should start with goals, not with “we should have a flashy video series“.

1. Goals

 - What do we want to convey?
 - …and to whom?
 - How does this benefit CouchDB?
  - internal and external (e.g. attracting committers vs. boosting CouchDB’s profile)
  - what value add exists for people/companies that we’d engage (in which ever way)
  - what is the value add for the target audience (do deciders watch 1 hour documentary, or
do developers care that we are used by Apple somewhere etc.)

2. Approaches

 - for each goal, we should, before we start anything, decide:
  - what tech to use (text, video, audio, slides, animation etc.) given the target audience
  - how to tell a particular story given the target audience
  - which partners to interview (and how to convince them)
  - how much effort it is and who can work on it
  - how we do PR for a particular instalment (just dumping a video on YouTube does not a success
make, managing PR is not trivial)

None of this must be absolutely in depth, but once we have a list of things we want to get
out and a list of ways to get them out, we can sort the latter list by what we can actually
achieve as a group with the people we have and anyone we can recruit. We need to be clear
about these things *before* we consider spending lots of time and maybe money on any one thing.

Here’s a start:

1.

Message: big names trust Apache CouchDB
Target Audience: deciders (including developers, who make tech choices)
Approach: big name logos on website
Story: not much, just use flashy logos
Effort: small / medium (lots of emailing and getting PR/legal clearance from companies)
PR Effort: medium (should include a bunch of tweets at least)
Who could do this: anyone who has the time to write emails and somewhat understands corporate
priorities and sensibilities.
Possibile follow-up work: prepare presenter slides that people who give CouchDB talks add
to their slide deck to brag about CouchDB’s success.

2.

Message: Apache CouchDB is good for <mobile sync|big data|ease of development|…>
Target Audience: developers & deciders
Story: CouchDB is good at X, here is a case study
Approach: Case-Study section of our website
Effort: medium (needs prep work for a bit of a questionnaire and then reach out to CouchDB
users who can fill it out, we take the results and produce a case-study)
Who could do this: Prep work: someone who knows how to ask good, broad questions that allow
specific answers. Write-up: someone who’s good at writing things up (duh :)
PR Effort: medium (tweets, blog/G+ posts etc)
Possible follow-up work: really interesting case studies could be used to make press releases
(c.f. “Apache CouchDB helped find the Higgs-Boson”)

3.

Message: Apache CouchDB is developer friendly
Target Audience: developers
Story: Depends on interviewee.
Approach: Interview series on the blog
Effort: ...