couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Alexander Shorin <kxe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: HN thread about CouchDB
Date Tue, 13 Jan 2015 09:40:16 GMT
On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 12:29 PM, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:
>> On 13 Jan 2015, at 10:21 , Alexander Shorin <kxepal@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I don't follow what you mean about hiding details. What details? Why to hide?
>> The problem with ddocs we have is not only documentation, but also
>> lack of tools to works with them. We admit couchapp thing as a feature
>> and ship a tool to develop and manage them with easy. Yes, there are a
>> lot of them in the wild: kanso, couchapp (python), couchapp (nodejs),
>> erica...but that's not a deal to provide a feature and tell our users
>> to seek or make a tools to work with it.
>
> My point is that this is a level of complexity that users should never
> have to deal with. They should just be able to say “index these fields,
> make it sortable by that field, do this aggregation”. Not managing map.js
> files with filesystem tools.

To let them able to say that they should also be also to do exactly
that. None of our tools including futon and fauxton isn't able to give
our users experience you described. Write some javascript, figure out
how sorting works, write reduce function, hit the overflow and
rereduce cases, fix them, oh you need to sort result by other field? -
change the map function or create another view - that's how it's now.
Too far from simplicity.
Graduation of docs by level (easy, medium, hacker) is a good and wise idea.

--