couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: HN thread about CouchDB
Date Tue, 13 Jan 2015 09:29:53 GMT

> On 13 Jan 2015, at 10:21 , Alexander Shorin <kxepal@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I don't follow what you mean about hiding details. What details? Why to hide?
> The problem with ddocs we have is not only documentation, but also
> lack of tools to works with them. We admit couchapp thing as a feature
> and ship a tool to develop and manage them with easy. Yes, there are a
> lot of them in the wild: kanso, couchapp (python), couchapp (nodejs),
> erica...but that's not a deal to provide a feature and tell our users
> to seek or make a tools to work with it.

My point is that this is a level of complexity that users should never
have to deal with. They should just be able to say “index these fields,
make it sortable by that field, do this aggregation”. Not managing map.js
files with filesystem tools.

> --
> ,,,^..^,,,
>

> On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 12:00 PM, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:
>> Heya (excuse the HN link),
>>
>> this is not necessarily something for the weekly news, but I think this is a useful
summary of how people think about CouchDB in the wild. I’m not suggesting this is representative,
but it can help guide us in what we want to do for our marketing activities, if we are not
happy with how people think about CouchDB:

>> https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=8865079
>>
>> I found the comment about design docs most interesting: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=8865687
(although I should send this to dev@). We should think hard about hiding this detail away
from end-users.