couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Johs Ensby <j...@b2w.com>
Subject Re: Draft of Cloudant paper, CouchDB inclusion?
Date Wed, 28 Jan 2015 08:37:36 GMT
Mike,
Nice paper!  It provides the kind of orientation that is essential to both development strategy
and deployment planning. The fact that it comes from a major commercial player is a much needed
reference on top of the usual blog/twitter/youtube/Stackoverflow/Quora scanning to QC the
not-always-update online docs.
Two comments:
I would have expected a few more sentences promoting Cloudant sync (to qualify for mobile
use is essential these days)
Mentioning Hood.ie might be a good idea when addressing PouchDB, and as there is a compatibility
issue there at the moment when it comes to the user database api between CouchDB and Cloudant
(see https://github.com/hoodiehq/faq/issues/77). I think the Hoodie initiative deserves a
mention since it ties together your “additional replication endponts” issue with the node.js
world and makes the offline vision a practical reality

A final comment as a Cloudant fan (since i met with the team in Boston in 2009)
You paper title is:
Deciding Between Cloudant Managed Service, Cloudant Local, and Apache CouchDB™
.. and one of your best arguments is that you DON’T need to decide between Cloudant and
A-CouchDB.
Isn’t that a good point emphasize in the conclusion of the paper?

johs:)

> On 27 Jan 2015, at 17:48, Mike Broberg <mbroberg@us.ibm.com> wrote:
>
> Hello, marketing community-- I'm working on a short paper that outlines the differences
between Cloudant's various services, and would like to include Apache CouchDB alongside them
as an option.

> A draft of the copy is available for comments at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-t8xRXnMqHYJi2PcxHzX3By3eoZUkWxzKqQg5K3tLbU/edit?usp=sharing
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-t8xRXnMqHYJi2PcxHzX3By3eoZUkWxzKqQg5K3tLbU/edit?usp=sharing>
I also included a potential layout of the document (attached) so you can see how the images
might look. (Disclaimer: I am not a graphic designer.)

> A couple notes:
>
> I wasn't sure how to handle PouchDB. I lumped it in with the ASF trademarks statement
in the draft, but I'm not sure if it applies. So I'm copying the ASF trademarks team here
on that. Or, maybe this is a question for Dale, Nolan, etc.?
> Also, I wrote this draft with an eye on the near future, anticipating clustering in Apache
CouchDB.

> Ideally, I'd like to consolidate feedback from the community by the end of this week.
Please let me know if you anticipate needing more time. Thank you! --Mike