couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Johs Ensby <j...@b2w.com>
Subject Re: New motto?
Date Tue, 02 Dec 2014 05:36:09 GMT
Keeping “relax” with the new slogan would both make it unique and build on the established
brand value.

Data where you need it. Relax.

It’s another way of saying
Data where you need it. Cool.

“Relax” is the emotional appeal, while the first part is the “rational appeal”.
In marketing and brand building the emotional appeal is often more important and the rational
appeal is used to, exactly, rationalise your “gut feel” choice.
Why is this so important in B2B/professional/hi-tech marketing?
Choosing a platform involved a massive amount of reasoning and evaluations, there is never
a perfect answer, but as pros & cons pile up most people develop a gut feel for their
choice.
To capture this gut feel in an “emotional appeal” is important to a brand, it gives you
a hook into the right side of the brain.

Johs

> On 01 Dec 2014, at 19:36, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:
>
> I agree that this is a really strong position now. :)
>
> Good job everyone!
>
> Best
> Jan
> --
>
>> On 01 Dec 2014, at 18:33 , Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> "Data where you need it." -- This is good as a single sentence.
>>
>> "Data. Wherever you need it." -- I think I prefer a period here...
>>
>> So my understanding is that:
>>
>> WHY -- Getting your data where ever you need it (mobile, geolocations,
>> cloud, etc)
>>
>> HOW -- Sync protocol (with CouchDB as the reference implementation)
>>
>> WHAT -- Erlang, MapReduce, CouchDB Query, REST, JSON, JavaScript, etc., etc.
>>
>> Is it just me, or is this looking really strong now?
>>
>> Alexander, BTW: I do not think it's an issue to have a slogan that
>> someone else has used. Unless these people are also building database
>> software, I don't think it's an issue (much like trademark law).
>>
>> On 21 November 2014 at 16:13, Johs Ensby <johs@b2w.com> wrote:
>>> Heartwarming to see an advocate for the “Relax” (word and logo) attractive,
differentiating and cool
>>> How about..
>>>
>>> Data where you need it. Relax.
>>>
>>> Johs

thread and various suggestions:

Many of the alternatives put forward (over the years) make it feel corporate, distant, or
generic. My CouchDB shirt (which is aging badly) still gets compliments--from all kinds of
people!

that relaxed, confident, happy, "chilling"--especially in a space (data management) where
it's usually all stress, corrupted backups, latency, lag, and rejected writes and data loss.

Not only

I came up

is succinct,