couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Draft for review: Apache 2.0 beta press release
Date Fri, 14 Nov 2014 19:52:54 GMT
This is not the final edit just yet. Andy is looking over it now.
Lynnette is planning to send out a few copies under embargo. But I
would give it the rest of the evening for people to add comments. Is
that still okay with you?

<andywenk@apache.org>, "Sally Khudairi" <sk@apache.org>, "jan@apache.org" <jan@apache.org>,
"private@couchdb.apache.org" <private@couchdb.apache.org>, "Mike Broberg" <mbroberg@us.ibm.com>,
"Andy Ellicott" <andy@cloudant.com>, "Lynnette Nolan" <lnolan@us.ibm.com>, "press@apache.org"
<press@apache.org>
> Subject: Draft for review: Apache 2.0 beta press release
> Date: Fri, Nov 14, 2014 14:27
>
> Okay, I have finished my pass.
>
> I have essentially re-written most paragraphs. Hehe. But I think the
> result is looking pretty solid. Thank you so much to everyone who
> drafted and edited already. Hopefully you'll like my changes. I moved
> the bits I cut and put them under the bit marked CUTTING ROOM FLOOR.
>
> I've added an explicit callout to the MongoDB query syntax, that I'd
> appreciate a look over.
>
> Sally, I restructured some of the closing sections. I didn't know if
> that was okay or not, so I just went for it. :)
>
> On 14 November 2014 20:19, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:
>> Lynnette,
>>
>> Are you happy to be added as the press contact for CouchDB? (I think
>> you're the most qualified person on this list!)
>>
>> On 14 November 2014 18:37, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:
>>> Thanks folks. I'm taking a pass at this (in the doc) myself now.

my plaintext version. Some PMCs don't like the Google Doc method --lots of annotations/questions,
who pulls the trigger, offline access, etc., so I tend to forward a "here's the latest version"
to the list(s) along the way.

Jan and I had a quick IRC talk and I would like to let you know how we want to fix this.

Lynnette and Mike is still there at the end of the document

comment function (or edit directly for typos and such ...). I believe this proposed way will
lead to a quick finish and cool press release :)

"Andy Ellicott" <andy@cloudant.com>, "Lynnette Nolan" <lnolan@us.ibm.com>, "marketing@couchdb.apache.org"
<marketing@couchdb.apache.org>, "press@apache.org" <press@apache.org>

I will answer them inline. As you have mentioned already, I am looking forward to read thoughts
of others here.

few locations, so feel free to add or delete items that work best for the PMC

main point was the question, if we should also include the new features of CouchDB 2.0

we may know, but others might not, so it's good to highlight core features

the v2.0 GA release, otherwise we might not have media coverage then ("it's not newsworthy"
is not something we want)

this point. Let's see what others say about this.

the draft that Mike forwarded, I presumed it was documented/agreed. I'll do what the PMC prefers

... personally I prefer to point folks to a Web page that documents where they can go, if
available

to integrate an extra point at http://couchdb.apache.org/#download named "CouchDB Beta 2.0"
or sth. like that

and will forward a revised draft on Friday.

<private@couchdb.apache.org>; Mike Broberg <mbroberg@us.ibm.com>; Andy Ellicott
<andy@cloudant.com>; Lynnette Nolan <lnolan@us.ibm.com>; "marketing@couchdb.apache.org"
<marketing@couchdb.apache.org>; "press@apache.org" <press@apache.org>

to the authors. I really like it. I made questions and annotations inline.

needs to be reviewed. Also, I've made some structural adjustments to meet our "Project News/Announcement"
format and editorial house style (e.g. capitalizing "Web" and "Open Source"). Kindly ignore
any line spacing oddities, as my mail server is fuzzing those up.

which is when the Jan's State of the Couch/Union talk is over. Are you OK with that? If not,
I'm happy to work with whatever works best for you (as long as it's not _too_ early <g>).

ET on Saturday 15 November if at all possible.

Software

Apache CouchDB™ project today announced a beta release of its CouchDB 2.0 operational data
store. The 2.0 beta release brings improved clustering technology to the Open Source NoSQL
database, making it easier to move data between different CouchDB instances and continuously
synchronize changes across commodity servers, within Web browsers, and directly on mobile
devices.

delivers on our vision of making Apache CouchDB the standard database for data movement,"
said Jan Lehnardt, Vice President of Apache CouchDB. "Data access is like any other utility
--applications must excel at keeping data flowing to and from users, across data centers,
and between mobile devices and central repositories. Our beta release is a milestone for the
Apache CouchDB community, and it's already raising more interest in the project."

not sure if this point should be here.

it to the simpler "automatic conflict detection"

able with 2.0. But maybe this is intentional as it is written below. I would love to see some
2.0 features in the list anyway.

uninterrupted and highly performant. The clustering improvements introduced in the beta version
of CouchDB 2.0 extend the database’s performance properties around data durability and high
availability, adding Dynamo distributed system-design principles to CouchDB horizontal scaling
technology.

clustering features of BigCouch, an Open Source variant of CouchDB, have been folded back
into Apache CouchDB.

reasons. But this paragraph cries for the word "Cloudant". Just like:

Fauxton, with streamlined administration tools, rich code editors, and a UI for managing database
replication.

declarative querying system, code for which currently resides in an Open Source repository.
The community also intends to evaluate potential code contributions that would advance CouchDB
indexing capabilities. These potential new features would add integrated full-text indexing
for search based on Apache Lucene™, extend CouchDB view indexing to clustered environments,
and automatically compact indexes with improved logic.

already now. I was not aware that there is a bigger focus to mention them (but I remember
that Jan told me ..). Take this comment maybe better as a question please ...

v2.0 generally available release, which is expected early 2015. Those interested in becoming
involved with Apache CouchDB are invited to participate on any of the project's eight mailing
lists and/or contribute code at https://github.com/apache/couchdb. The project also welcomes
questions on IRC in the #couchdb channel on freenode

there users will find the documentation about 1.6.1. And as I just heard, we do not have any
documentation for 2.0 yet. We should have a little "how to guide" and we should include that
link here - if we decide to link to any docs at all.

from http://couchdb.apache.org/#download

change the link to the appropriate location.

License v2.0, and is overseen by a self-selected team of active contributors to the project.
The Apache CouchDB Project Management Committee (PMC) guides the Project's day-to-day operations,
including community development and product releases.

uninterrupted, highly performant data flow between modern Web and mobile applications and
their data stores. CouchDB's suite of features, including on-the-fly document transformation,
real-time change notifications, and easy-to-use administration console greatly simplifies
the Web application development process. Focused on distributed scaling, CouchDB is highly
available, partition tolerant, and consistent, with a fault-tolerant storage engine that prioritizes
data safety. CouchDB entered the Apache Incubator in February 2008 and became an Apache Top-level
Project in November of the same year. For downloads, documentation, and ways to become involved
with Apache CouchDB, visit http://couchdb.apache.org/ and https://twitter.com/CouchDB

"Lucene", "Apache Lucene", the Apache CouchDB logo, and the Apache feather logo are registered
trademarks or trademarks of The Apache Software Foundation in the United States and/or other
countries. All other brands and trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

marketing@couchdb.apache.org; press@apache.org; sk@apache.org

bad), but that makes sense: You and the press team will take an initial pass, and will then
send it back to the community for review.

or what the process is there. We're fine either way, but of course we'd help set up the approved
release for distribution via PRWeb if needed. Just wanted to mention that up front in case
it matters.

| (617) 299-1409 Google Voice

you, Lynnette! I'll edit and forward the draft back to the community by

<andy@cloudant.com>, press@apache.org

"Andy Ellicott" <andy@cloudant.com>

on Monday, my colleague Lynnette and I drafted a press release for your review.

edit access to Jan, Noah, and others who I suspect might be interested, but my apologies in
advance if I left you off.)

Eastern, so she has time to review before Jan, Joan, and others speak about the Apache 2.0
beta release at ApacheCon Europe on 17 November.

| (617) 299-1409 Google Voice

Software

announced a beta release of CouchDB 2.0 at the ApacheCon Europe conference. The software release
brings improved clustering technology to the open source NoSQL database. Now, CouchDB can
more easily move data between different CouchDB instances and continuously synchronize changes
to that data across CouchDB services running on commodity servers, within Web browsers, and
directly on mobile devices.

between an application and its database remains uninterrupted and highly performant. The clustering
improvements introduced in the beta version of CouchDB 2.0 extend the database’s performance
properties around data durability and high availability, adding Dynamo distributed system-design
principles to CouchDB horizontal scaling technology.

CouchDB the standard database for data movement,” said Jan Lehnardt, vice president of Apache
CouchDB at the Apache Software Foundation. “Data access is like any other utility. Applications
must excel at keeping data flowing to and from users, across data centers, and between mobile
devices and central repositories. The beta release is a milestone for the Apache CouchDB community,
and it’s already raising more interest in the project.”

the clustering features of BigCouch, an open source variant of CouchDB, have now been folded
back into Apache CouchDB. The community has also completed development of a new Web dashboard
called Fauxton, with streamlined admin tools, rich code editors, and a UI for managing database
replication. The beta release of CouchDB 2.0 containing these features is available now at
<link>. The community encourages feedback for incorporation into the generally available
release, which is expected in early 2015.

new features. The first new feature is a declarative querying system, code for which currently
resides in an open source repository. The community also announced its intention to evaluate
soon-to-be-open-sourced code that would advance CouchDB indexing capabilities. These potential
new features would add integrated full-text indexing for search based on Apache Lucene™,
extend CouchDB view indexing to clustered environments, and automatically compact indexes
with improved logic.

are registered trademarks or trademarks of the Apache Software Foundation in the United States
and/or other countries. All other brands and trademarks are the property of their respective
owners.

with modern Web and mobile applications. Store database records as JSON documents. Access
documents and query indexes via HTTP. Index, combine, and transform JSON documents with JavaScript.
Distribute data efficiently using CouchDB’s incremental replication and synchronization
technology. CouchDB supports master-master setups (a.k.a. “masterless replica architectures”)
with automatic conflict detection. CouchDB works well with modern Web and mobile applications.
contribute code at https://github.com/apache/couchdb, or bring your questions to IRC in the

--
Noah Slater
https://twitter.com/nslater