couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Nick Pavlica <lini...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: New motto?
Date Sat, 08 Nov 2014 19:03:33 GMT
> I don't think we need a one word slogan. Not sure if anybody actually
> suggested that.

  This can definitely go in either direction.

> I also don't think "Freedom" or "Liberty" should be the words we use.
> I very specifically thought that "liberate" was the word we ought to
> use because it describes what Couch lets you do. It lets you liberate
> your data. That can mean so many things, from being able to filter it
> and transform it, through to being able to move it between locations,
> and keep everything in sync.

  I think the big hangup isn't the technical meaning "liberate", or it's
application to CouchDB, but the fact that it has been used in so many
places that it really invokes a huge variety of thoughts and emotions based
on an unlimited variety of personal experiences.  I think the speaker in
the video below really illustrated the power of emotion when making
decisions, over just the technical details of something.  That said,
"liberate" should definitely stay on the table, we just need to be mindful
of it's emotion impact.

> Note. I don't think our slogan should just be "Liberate". But that our
> slogan could be something like "CouchDB. Liberate your data."

The key
> here is that we're describing what you'll be able to do with your data
> by using our sync protocol.

  "CouchDB. Liberate your data." Is a huge step forward from "Relax", which
tells you nothing about the database or the project.

> Please watch this video on "Start With Why" by Simon Sinek:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sioZd3AxmnE

It will help you understand why I think we have to reach higher than
> sync/replication. We need to communicate WHY we're building a sync
> protocol. Like, why is it even important? Why are we all here?
>
> If we can communicate that, our brand and our messaging will be so
> much more powerful. We'll attract people EMOTIONALLY. People who feel
> like they belong because they share our goals/values.
>
> Why is the sync protocol important to you? (Yes you, reading this
> email.) What's the VALUE? What motivates you to contribute to CouchDB
> by participating on this list? What does the sync protocol get you?
> What is it enabling for you?
>
> Open invitation to answer this...

  This is a fantastic presentation, thanks for sharing!  Without a doubt
the marketing for CouchDB needs to evolve into something better than what
we have today.  For me, I see CouchDB as a tool that allows me to move,
share, and create data in ways that other databases can't.  The fact that
there are databases like PouchDB that work so well with CouchDB, and PHP
endpoints that can move that same data into MySql is the real magic behind
CouchDB, and it's growing echo system.  To me it's more than a specific
implementation like CouchDB, it's about connecting those data stores, so
that we can try to solve the tough problems we face everyday.  Here are a
few mottos that resulted from a short brainstorming session I had, and
wanted to share them.

*CouchDB:*

   - "A Database That Communicates"

   - "Communicates"