couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Alexander Shorin <kxe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Naming releases
Date Sat, 01 Nov 2014 09:00:02 GMT
Also turn my vote to -1. Initially I understood this idea as like as
give our releases special code names - it's not about versioning how
Ubuntu and OSX does, it's not about dedicating to someone, it's just a
funny thing to stylish a release, but only. Here the examples:

http://rethinkdb.com/blog/1.15-release/ - RethinkDB 1.15 (Lawrence of Arabia)
http://rethinkdb.com/blog/1.14-release/ - RethinkDB 1.14 (Brazil)
http://rethinkdb.com/blog/1.13-release/ - RethinkDB 1.13 (My Name is Nobody)
http://rethinkdb.com/blog/1.12-release/ - RethinkDB 1.12 (The Wizard of Oz)

Though I'm not sure how they picks the names, I would probably play
around the features done in release.

As for dedicating to someone this is bad idea: we should respect every
contribution from everyone. Even simple typo fixes in docs matters as
like as new tricky featured made in Erlang. And if you still want to
thanks people on release notes, mention them all like Rust does:
https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/rust-dev/2014-October/011267.html

--
,,,^..^,,,

On Sat, Nov 1, 2014 at 10:58 AM, Benoit Chesneau <bchesneau@gmail.com> wrote:
> since a long time. Couchdb is the a result of a team and community work.
> dedicating a work will just split more people and is prone to conflict.
>
> I you want to put a name then choose a charayers,animal, ie something
> neutral. Anything else woul be just politic and has nothing to do with
> marketing.
>

> On Tuesday, October 28, 2014, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> (Resending with dev@ copied.)
>>
>> Seems like consensus is that this is a bad idea--as formulated.
>>
>> How about softening the proposal?
>>
>> Counter-proposal A:
>>
>> - Tweets, social media posts, changelog, etc. all use the number *only*
>> - There is a single sentence in the release announcement email and
>> blog post to the effect of "aka the X release"
>>
>> Counter-proposal B:
>>
>> - Rephrase it slightly so that we're "dedicating" the release to
>> someone as a thank you
>>
>> Only problem with counter-proposal B is that (while it might be a good
>> idea) it puts it into the "access" category. We're giving someone
>> exclusive access to our platform as a thank you.
>>
>> Does anyone have any ideas for rewards that fall into the "power"
>> category, that we can reasonably offer, without compromising the
>> integrity of the project?
>>
>> We could let people "name" weekly news posts, I suppose. "aka the X
>> update". Heh. Perhaps that's less risky.
>>
>> On 27 October 2014 23:01, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org <javascript:;>>
>> wrote:
>> > Seems like consensus is that this is a bad idea--as formulated.
>> >
>> > How about softening the proposal?
>> >
>> > Counter-proposal A:
>> >
>> > - Tweets, social media posts, changelog, etc. all use the number *only*
>> > - There is a single sentence in the release announcement email and
>> > blog post to the effect of "aka the X release"
>> >
>> > Counter-proposal B:
>> >
>> > - Rephrase it slightly so that we're "dedicating" the release to
>> > someone as a thank you
>> >
>> > Only problem with counter-proposal B is that (while it might be a good
>> > idea) it puts it into the "access" category. We're giving someone
>> > exclusive access to our platform as a thank you.
>> >
>> > Does anyone have any ideas for rewards that fall into the "power"
>> > category, that we can reasonably offer, without compromising the
>> > integrity of the project?
>> >
>> > We could let people "name" weekly news posts, I suppose. "aka the X
>> > update". Heh. Perhaps that's less risky.

release
>> announcement

and put
>> on a