couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Andy Wenk <a...@nms.de>
Subject Re: The ApacheCon EU Announcements
Date Mon, 10 Nov 2014 22:19:33 GMT
On Nov 10, 2014 9:07 PM, "Jan Lehnardt" <jan@apache.org> wrote:

> marketing@ only:
>
> In addition to the technical discussion:
>
> Cloudant have offered to issue a press release on our behalf about the
Developer Preview.

> Is this something we’d like to take them up on?
>
> I’m +1. My only concern was to not use too many of these because we want
to make a big splash with the 2.0 release, but they said it is fine because
CouchDB hasn’t been the most vocal project in the past, so we can do this
one.

> Best
> Jan
> --

Definitely +1

I don't see any collision with the efforts for 2.0 . Quite the opposite is
the point imho. Because CouchDB never did too much press wise we should
start now slowly to get the attention from the press we need for the big
bang!

Thanjs Jan

> > On 10 Nov 2014, at 15:01 , Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hey all,
> >
> > it is ApacheCon EU next week and CouchDB has a full track of great
talks, yay! \o/

http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/apachecon-europe/program/schedule
(Click on “Couch” in the side bar, to see all our talks :)

> > I’m scheduled to give a CouchDB State of the Union kind of talk on
Monday morning and aside from where we are coming from and what the current
state is, I’d like to make some forward looking statements about CouchDB
2.0.

> > The big news, of course, is the BigCouch merge and what this means for
CouchDB. There are also various bits and pieces about things that we have
done outside of that (the rcouch merge), as well as a few things that are
part of the merge, but are worth pointing out on its own (like better
compaction e.g.).

> > I’d like to do one better though. Bob Newson has already mentioned a
few times that master is now in a state that it would be great if more
people could get their hands on it.

> > To that end, I’d like to propose that we announce and release[1] a
“Developer Preview” version of master as it is now (+ the _cluster_setup)
work.

> > If you agree, what do you think we should be doing for this?
> >
> > My short list is:
> > 1. finish /_cluster_setup & Fauxton UI, to make cluster setup easier
> > 2. write “how to get started” guide
> > 3. figure out what a “release” could look like.
> >

> > For 1. I can do on the backend, but I’d love some help from the Fauxton
team for the UI bits.

> > For 2. I can do too, but any volunteers are welcome :D
> >
> > For 3. I only have a vague understanding of how to do releases in a 2.0
world overall. Ideally, we have something that puts out nightly tarballs
(easily done on our CI server). A next step and nice to have would be
pre-built binaries for people to run, as well as a Docker/Vagrant/etc setup
that people can use. But I don’t know how far away all of these are for us
at this point. Can anyone shed some light on this?

> > * * *
> >
> > Ideally, our Nov 17. Announcement says that everything is available
right away.

> > Is there anything else that you think we absolutely need to do to make
a “Developer Preview” of CouchDB 2.0? Do you see any significant issues
with the things I outlined above?

> > Is there anything in particular that I should be mentioning in (one of)
my ApacheCon EU talk(s)?

> > Thank you for your help!
> >
> > Jan
> > --
> > [1]: This doesn’t have to be an ASF, capital R, Release,d putting up
some tarballs somewhere would be fine.