couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Andy Wenk <andyw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Draft for review: Apache 2.0 beta press release
Date Thu, 13 Nov 2014 10:03:46 GMT
Hi Sally,

thanks a lot for your replies to my annotations. You had some questions and
I will answer them inline. As you have mentioned already, I am looking
forward to read thoughts of others here.

On 13 November 2014 02:22, Sally Khudairi <sk@apache.org> wrote:

> Thanks, Andy!
>
> Apologies for the top-posting; my email client no longer allows for
> properly marked-up messages ;-(

oh never mind :)

> So here are some quick responses re:
>
> - bulleted list and CloudApps --the list is pulled from what I read in a
> few locations, so feel free to add or delete items that work best for the
> PMC

I would like to ask the other participants what we should include here. My
main point was the question, if we should also include the new features of
CouchDB 2.0

> - bulleted list in general --it's important to show what CouchDB is; yes,
> we may know, but others might not, so it's good to highlight core features

ok

> - adding v2.0 features --I'd like to do a bulleted list and more detail in
> the v2.0 GA release, otherwise we might not have media coverage then ("it's
> not newsworthy" is not something we want)

but the whole press release is referring to CouchDB 2.0. Maybe I
misunderstand this point. Let's see what others say about this.

> - request "to write this a bit 'nicer' ..." --are you referring to the
> Cloudant bit or Fauxton?

The Cloudant bit where Cloudant is not mentioned - what is intentional and
required

> - future features --I try to never pre-announce anything, but as it was in
> the draft that Mike forwarded, I presumed it was documented/agreed. I'll do
> what the PMC prefers

Again, I would like to hear what others say about this point.

> - IRC handles --I'm happy to do what you'd like and align the pointers
> accordingly ... personally I prefer to point folks to a Web page that
> documents where they can go, if available

Actually, we do not have a summary page so we should find consensus what we
write here

> - download links --I guessed on this, so if you have a specific URI/L, by
> all means, I'll change it :^)

I am not sure what the plans are here. I think the best solution would be
to integrate an extra point at http://couchdb.apache.org/#download named
"CouchDB Beta 2.0" or sth. like that

> Thanks again for your speedy response. I look forward to hearing from
> others, and will forward a revised draft on Friday.

I have to thank you for your awesome work :D

> Chat soon,
> Sally

Cheers

Andy

> [...]
> (but I remember that Jan told me ..). Take this comment maybe better as a
> question please ...
>
> The Apache CouchDB community encourages feedback for incorporation into
> the v2.0 generally available release, which is expected early 2015. Those
> interested in becoming involved with Apache CouchDB are invited to
> participate on any of the project's eight mailing lists and/or contribute
> code at https://github.com/apache/couchdb. The project also welcomes
> questions on IRC in the #couchdb channel on freenode
> >

> #couchdb is for users
> #couchdb-dev is for developers
>
> We should mention both or if only one, we should mention #couchdb-dev imho.
>
> I asked myself, if it would be good to also mention docs.couchdb.org .
> But there users will find the documentation about 1.6.1. And as I just
> heard, we do not have any documentation for 2.0 yet. We should have a
> little "how to guide" and we should include that link here - if we decide
> to link to any docs at all.
>
> Downloads and Documentation
> >The official source code for the beta release of CouchDB v2.0 can be
> downloaded from http://couchdb.apache.org/#download
>
> This link will have the GA releases. Will the beta be here? If not, we
> should change the link to the appropriate location.
>

> >Availability and Oversight
> >As with all Apache products, CouchDB software is released under the
> Apache License v2.0, and is overseen by a self-selected team of active
> contributors to the project. The Apache CouchDB Project Management
> Committee (PMC) guides the Project's day-to-day operations, including
> community development and product releases.
> >About Apache CouchDB™
> >Apache CouchDB is a proven, efficient Open Source database that ensures
> uninterrupted, highly performant data flow between modern Web and mobile
> applications and their data stores. CouchDB's suite of features, including
> on-the-fly document transformation, real-time change notifications, and
> easy-to-use administration console greatly simplifies the Web application
> development process. Focused on distributed scaling, CouchDB is highly
> available, partition tolerant, and consistent, with a fault-tolerant
> storage engine that prioritizes data safety. CouchDB entered the Apache
> Incubator in February 2008 and became an Apache Top-level Project in
> November of the same year. For downloads, documentation, and ways to become
> involved with Apache CouchDB, visit http://couchdb.apache.org/ and
> https://twitter.com/CouchDB
> ># # #
> >© The Apache Software Foundation. "Apache", "CouchDB", "Apache CouchDB",
> "Lucene", "Apache Lucene", the Apache CouchDB logo, and the Apache feather
> logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of The Apache Software
> Foundation in the United States and/or other countries. All other brands
> and trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

Andy Wenk
Hamburg - Germany
RockIt!