couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Andy Wenk <andyw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Draft for review: Apache 2.0 beta press release
Date Wed, 12 Nov 2014 21:55:23 GMT
Hi Sally,

thanks a lot for forwarding the press release draft and your edits. And
thanks to the authors. I really like it. I made questions and annotations
inline.

On 12 November 2014 21:39, Sally Khudairi <sk@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi everyone --as promised, below is our revised draft of the announcement.
>
> Please note that I have created a new boilerplate for Apache CouchDB that
> needs to be reviewed. Also, I've made some structural adjustments to meet
> our "Project News/Announcement" format and editorial house style (e.g.
> capitalizing "Web" and "Open Source"). Kindly ignore any line spacing
> oddities, as my mail server is fuzzing those up.
>
> @Jan --we have a place holder for your quote. Please review and
> edit/signoff as appropriate.
>
> As for announcement timing, we can go live at 11.30AM CET (5.30AM ET),
> which is when the Jan's State of the Couch/Union talk is over. Are you OK
> with that? If not, I'm happy to work with whatever works best for you (as
> long as it's not _too_ early <g>).
>
> Thanks in advance for your feedback! I'd love to lock in our copy by 6PM
> ET on Saturday 15 November if at all possible.
>
> Warmly,
> Sally
>
> = = =
> Apache CouchDB™ Adds Database Clustering with 2.0 Beta Release of NoSQL
> Software
> Horizontal scalability improves data replication and sync at large scale
> for JSON document database
> BUDAPEST, Hungary —17 November 2014— At ApacheCon Europe 2014, the Apache
> CouchDB™ project today announced a beta release of its CouchDB 2.0
> operational data store. The 2.0 beta release brings improved clustering
> technology to the Open Source NoSQL database, making it easier to move data
> between different CouchDB instances and continuously synchronize changes
> across commodity servers, within Web browsers, and directly on mobile
> devices.
>
> @@AWAITING EDIT/SIGNOFF FROM JAN – "The beta release of CouchDB 2.0
> delivers on our vision of making Apache CouchDB the standard database for
> data movement," said Jan Lehnardt, Vice President of Apache CouchDB. "Data
> access is like any other utility --applications must excel at keeping data
> flowing to and from users, across data centers, and between mobile devices
> and central repositories. Our beta release is a milestone for the Apache
> CouchDB community, and it's already raising more interest in the project."
> CouchDB completely embraces the Web by allowing users to easily:
>  - Store data with JSON documents;
>  - Access documents and query indexes using a Web browser via HTTP;
>  - Index, combine, and transform documents with JavaScript
>  - Serve Web apps directly out of CouchDB;

@Jan - we spoke about "Couchapps" and what the target of CouchDB is. I am
not sure if this point should be here.

>  - Distribute data and apps efficiently using CouchDB’s incremental
> replication; and
>  - Support master-master ("masterless replica architectures") setups with
> automatic conflict detection

We used also the word "bidirectional conflict detection" but maybe we
changed it to the simpler "automatic conflict detection"

The list reads a bit what CouchDB can do actually, but not what it will be
able with 2.0. But maybe this is intentional as it is written below. I
would love to see some 2.0 features in the list anyway.

> Using CouchDB, the flow of data between an application and its database
> remains uninterrupted and highly performant. The clustering improvements
> introduced in the beta version of CouchDB 2.0 extend the database’s
> performance properties around data durability and high availability, adding
> Dynamo distributed system-design principles to CouchDB horizontal scaling
> technology.
>

> CouchDB 2.0 represents major contributions to the Apache project: all the
> clustering features of BigCouch, an Open Source variant of CouchDB, have
> been folded back into Apache CouchDB.

I already asked Mike why Cloudant is not mentioned at all. There are
internal reasons. But this paragraph cries for the word "Cloudant". Just
like:

"Cloudant made major contributions to the Apache ..." :)

Is it possible to write this a bit "nicer" ... sry ... can't explain it
differently ....

The community has also completed development of a new Web dashboard called
> Fauxton, with streamlined administration tools, rich code editors, and a UI
> for managing database replication.
> Also announced today are plans for upcoming new features, including a
> declarative querying system, code for which currently resides in an Open
> Source repository. The community also intends to evaluate potential code
> contributions that would advance CouchDB indexing capabilities. These
> potential new features would add integrated full-text indexing for search
> based on Apache Lucene™, extend CouchDB view indexing to clustered
> environments, and automatically compact indexes with improved logic.

I am not sure if it is smart to speak about these very far away features
already now. I was not aware that there is a bigger focus to mention them
(but I remember that Jan told me ..). Take this comment maybe better as a
question please ...

The Apache CouchDB community encourages feedback for incorporation into the
> v2.0 generally available release, which is expected early 2015. Those
> interested in becoming involved with Apache CouchDB are invited to
> participate on any of the project's eight mailing lists and/or contribute
> code at https://github.com/apache/couchdb. The project also welcomes
> questions on IRC in the #couchdb channel on freenode

#couchdb is for users
#couchdb-dev is for developers

We should mention both or if only one, we should mention #couchdb-dev imho.

I asked myself, if it would be good to also mention docs.couchdb.org . But
there users will find the documentation about 1.6.1. And as I just heard,
we do not have any documentation for 2.0 yet. We should have a little "how
to guide" and we should include that link here - if we decide to link to
any docs at all.

> Downloads and Documentation
> The official source code for the beta release of CouchDB v2.0 can be
> downloaded from http://couchdb.apache.org/#download

This link will have the GA releases. Will the beta be here? If not, we
should change the link to the appropriate location.

> Availability and Oversight
> As with all Apache products, CouchDB software is released under the Apache
> License v2.0, and is overseen by a self-selected team of active
> contributors to the project. The Apache CouchDB Project Management
> Committee (PMC) guides the Project's day-to-day operations, including
> community development and product releases.
> About Apache CouchDB™
> Apache CouchDB is a proven, efficient Open Source database that ensures
> uninterrupted, highly performant data flow between modern Web and mobile
> applications and their data stores. CouchDB's suite of features, including
> on-the-fly document transformation, real-time change notifications, and
> easy-to-use administration console greatly simplifies the Web application
> development process. Focused on distributed scaling, CouchDB is highly
> available, partition tolerant, and consistent, with a fault-tolerant
> storage engine that prioritizes data safety. CouchDB entered the Apache
> Incubator in February 2008 and became an Apache Top-level Project in
> November of the same year. For downloads, documentation, and ways to become
> involved with Apache CouchDB, visit http://couchdb.apache.org/ and
> https://twitter.com/CouchDB
> # # #
> © The Apache Software Foundation. "Apache", "CouchDB", "Apache CouchDB",
> "Lucene", "Apache Lucene", the Apache CouchDB logo, and the Apache feather
> logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of The Apache Software
> Foundation in the United States and/or other countries. All other brands
> and trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
> [APACHE COUCHDB CONTACT]
> Sally Khudairi
> Vice President
> The Apache Software Foundation