couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From "Sally Khudairi" <sallykhuda...@yahoo.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: Draft for review: Apache 2.0 beta press release
Date Tue, 11 Nov 2014 21:18:46 GMT
Thanks so much, Mike. Thank you, Lynnette!

I'll edit and forward the draft back to the community by Thursday, hopefully sooner.

I'm also copying the ASF Press team here to ensure everyone's in the loop.

Cheers,
Sally

[From the mobile; please excuse top-posting, spelling/spacing errors, and brevity]

----- Reply message -----
From: "Mike Broberg" <mbroberg@us.ibm.com>
To: <marketing@couchdb.apache.org>
Cc: <sk@apache.org>, "Lynnette Nolan" <lnolan@us.ibm.com>, "Andy Ellicott" <andy@cloudant.com>
Subject: Draft for review: Apache 2.0 beta press release
Date: Tue, Nov 11, 2014 16:10

Hello, community-- After our google hangout with Jan, Alexander, and others on Monday, my
colleague Lynnette and I drafted a press release for your review.

It's open to all for comments via https://docs.google.com/document/d/1haCoxdPnkrY2MNxhlkg7V0xrK3jsL78eemvSFCBcLC4/edit?usp=sharing

If you would like edit access, please let me know. (I already granted edit access to Jan,
Noah, and others who I suspect might be interested, but my apologies in advance if I left
you off.)

The goal is to send a draft over to Sally Khudairi by Friday morning U.S. Eastern, so she
has time to review before Jan, Joan, and others speak about the Apache 2.0 beta release at
ApacheCon Europe on 17 November.

Thanks very much for your edits/comments! --Mike

--

Mike Broberg | IBM Cloudant | 200 State Street, Boston, MA 02109 | mbroberg@us.ibm.com | (617)
299-1409 Google Voice

--

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1haCoxdPnkrY2MNxhlkg7V0xrK3jsL78eemvSFCBcLC4/edit?usp=sharing

DRAFT: NOT FOR RELEASE

DRAFT: FOR APACHE COUCHDB COMMUNITY REVIEWApache CouchDB™ Adds Database Clustering with
2.0 Beta Release of NoSQL Software
Horizontal scalability improves data replication and sync at large scale for JSON document
database

BUDAPEST — NOVEMBER 17, 2014 — The Apache CouchDB™ project today announced a beta release
of CouchDB 2.0 at the ApacheCon Europe conference. The software release brings improved clustering
technology to the open source NoSQL database. Now, CouchDB can more easily move data between
different CouchDB instances and continuously synchronize changes to that data across CouchDB
services running on commodity servers, within Web browsers, and directly on mobile devices.

CouchDB is an operational data store designed to ensure the flow of data between an application
and its database remains uninterrupted and highly performant. The clustering improvements
introduced in the beta version of CouchDB 2.0 extend the database’s performance properties
around data durability and high availability, adding Dynamo distributed system-design principles
to CouchDB horizontal scaling technology.

“The beta release of CouchDB 2.0 delivers on our vision of making Apache CouchDB the standard
database for data movement,” said Jan Lehnardt, vice president of Apache CouchDB at the
Apache Software Foundation. “Data access is like any other utility. Applications must excel
at keeping data flowing to and from users, across data centers, and between mobile devices
and central repositories. The beta release is a milestone for the Apache CouchDB community,
and it’s already raising more interest in the project.”

CouchDB 2.0 represents major contributions to the Apache project. All the clustering features
of BigCouch, an open source variant of CouchDB, have now been folded back into Apache CouchDB.
The community has also completed development of a new Web dashboard called Fauxton, with streamlined
admin tools, rich code editors, and a UI for managing database replication. The beta release
of CouchDB 2.0 containing these features is available now at <link>. The community encourages
feedback for incorporation into the generally available release, which is expected in early
2015.

At ApacheCon Europe, the CouchDB community also announced plans for upcoming new features.
The first new feature is a declarative querying system, code for which currently resides in
an open source repository. The community also announced its intention to evaluate soon-to-be-open-sourced
code that would advance CouchDB indexing capabilities. These potential new features would
add integrated full-text indexing for search based on Apache Lucene™, extend CouchDB view
indexing to clustered environments, and automatically compact indexes with improved logic.

“Apache”, “Apache CouchDB” , “Apache Lucene”, and “CouchDB” are registered
trademarks or trademarks of the Apache Software Foundation in the United States and/or other
countries. All other brands and trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

About Apache CouchDB™

CouchDB is a database that completely embraces the Web and works well with modern Web and
mobile applications. Store database records as JSON documents. Access documents and query
indexes via HTTP. Index, combine, and transform JSON documents with JavaScript. Distribute
data efficiently using CouchDB’s incremental replication and synchronization technology.
CouchDB supports master-master setups (a.k.a. “masterless replica architectures”) with
automatic conflict detection. CouchDB works well with modern Web and mobile applications.