couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Johs Ensby <j...@b2w.com>
Subject Re: New motto?
Date Sat, 08 Nov 2014 05:39:30 GMT
Joan,
“Liberate” has the right mixture of connotations and meanings for most of us, I guess,
but related to CouchDB, no, it’s so grand that it won’t stick.
Imagine a car manufacturer calling their new model “Liberate” or “Liberation”. Or
the creator of a new parfume. Or a a political campaign.
It would work, but the word is just to grand and important to most people to associate with
a car, parfume, political candidate or a database.
This is reaching faaaar to high. You will just borrow a small piece of the words mental space
in people’s heads and have to explain it again and again.

I have seen presentations where “Relax” is used very effectively to explain CouchDB benefits.
The logo (which is brilliant, who created that??) says “Relax”.
This is the part of CouchDB communications that is working really, really well.

It is almost impossible to find a one-word slogan, you need to make a phrase to give it a
uniqueness. However CouchDB, with the logo + “Relax” has built a cool message in a stressful
world of too many busy bodies trying to oversell theirs stuff.

My advice is:
Call it a day and be happy that the chase for a new slogan verified that it is very hard to
find something that works better for CouchDB then “Relax”.
Johs:)