couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: AdvocateHub rewards
Date Fri, 31 Oct 2014 12:30:05 GMT

> On 31 Oct 2014, at 09:25 , Andy Wenk <andywenk@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Jan,
>
> this is a very fair point. But I think it could be avoided if we add sth.
> like "Thanks to all the awesome work of the contributors, this release is
> again so cool ..." If there is a very big part created by one person, why
> not name him also?

Or her. It puts focus on things that are shippable. It shadows things that
go on in the background, that are essential, say JIRA triaging or Pull
Request Reviews. Someone might spend more time on that than someone else
with a big new feature and they wouldn’t get credit. I’d like to avoid that,
and I think we have plenty of good incentives. It’s not that we are at a
loss as to what to offer people.

> But on the other hand, we have the contributors list and
> the people earn respect because they can be found in the commit history.
> The developers working on CouchDB do it, because they believe in the
> project and want to help creating awesome software. Not to see their name
> in any special announcement. At least, that's the point for me.

Exactly, we should value people because they are committed to CouchDB,
regardless of their contribution. Highlighting some people in the community
creates a disparity that can have very adverse effects on a community.

> So I can understand your (and Lena's) concerns but I personally do not see
> this a s such a big issue.

Both Lena and I had some experience with this this year in a community of
six people and avoiding a mix of “shipping culture” and “hero worship” and
instead a focus on people made all the difference for us.

> Maybe we could make a quick questionnaire (Google form thingy?) on dev@
> to get a feeling for this?

Why is there a need to push this through? We have plenty of rewards for
AdvocateHub. Let’s get that out and see how it goes. If we need to dial
up the reward-meter, let’s get back together and think about what we can
offer.

Best
Jan