couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: AdvocateHub rewards
Date Fri, 31 Oct 2014 17:40:40 GMT
Related: I've renamed THANKS to CONTRIBUTORS in the source. And
instead of entering advocates into a "hall of fame", I'll be adding
them to this file. The logic goes: if they've earned enough to redeem
this reward, they're obviously a contributor to the project.

But what about people who contribute a lot but don't redeem the
reward? Well, I'll make the reward "perkable", meaning I can bestow it
on advocates who have made some particularly impressive contributions.

On 31 October 2014 18:38, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:
> So, I actually brought up the idea of dedicating the release on a dev@
> thread. The only people to respond there were +1 on the idea. But Jan
> and Lena are -1 one on the idea here and have requested we put this
> reward on hold. I still think it would be a good idea, but I'm happy
> to put the idea on the back burner. I'll also table the "name the
> news" idea. We can revisit in the future.
>
> Thanks for the feedback folks.

>>> Or her. It puts focus on things that are shippable. It shadows things that
>>> go on in the background, that are essential, say JIRA triaging or Pull
>>> Request Reviews. Someone might spend more time on that than someone else
>>> with a big new feature and they wouldn’t get credit. I’d like to avoid
>>> that,
>>> and I think we have plenty of good incentives. It’s not that we are at a
>>> loss as to what to offer people.
>>>

>> sry - for sure her also. I do understand this. Again, dedicating a  release
>> does not have to do anything with value compared to other contributions.
>> But I see the point that this could be viewed from the outside in that way.
>> What would be wrong.

>>> Exactly, we should value people because they are committed to CouchDB,
>>> regardless of their contribution. Highlighting some people in the community
>>> creates a disparity that can have very adverse effects on a community.
>>>

>> That is very true. You are right.

>>> see
>>>
>>> Both Lena and I had some experience with this this year in a community of
>>> six people and avoiding a mix of “shipping culture” and “hero worship”
and
>>> instead a focus on people made all the difference for us.
>>>

>> sorry to hear that. I would be more than sad if the outcome of this
>> marketing idea would be something like this. With this knowledge, I am
>> starting to be convinced, that the idea could result in problems for the
>> community. I am strongly against taking this risk.

>>> Why is there a need to push this through? We have plenty of rewards for
>>> AdvocateHub. Let’s get that out and see how it goes. If we need to dial
>>> up the reward-meter, let’s get back together and think about what we can
>>> offer.
>>>

>> Because it is good to know how we can rise the reward-meter from the
>> beginning. That was the idea. Keep it open and learn what the community
>> thinks about this. But ....
>>

>> I hear you! I am now at the point top agree, that we should start with the
>> other rewards. Thanls for taking the time to outline this very clearly <3 :)
>>

>>> Best
>>> Jan
>>> --
>>>

>> So I am -0 with the idea to dedicate releases at this moment.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Andy

>>> want
I’m