couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Andy Wenk <andyw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Linking to Professional Services
Date Wed, 15 Oct 2014 12:34:51 GMT
Hi Jan,

I personally think it's a good idea. The questions you raised are the ones
we have to answer. My comments inline.

On 15 October 2014 13:38, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:

> >> Heya Marketingers,
> >>
> >> one of the things I keep noticing in the field is that people and
> companies decide against using CouchDB because there are no professional
> services or support offerings.
> >>
> >> My main objective is showing that CouchDB is a viable solution and that
> commercial services are being catered to.
> >>
> >> Of course there is Cloudant, but there are enough scenarios where
> that’s not an option.
> >>
> >> Also of course, there are a number of people and companies that offer
> services for CouchDB, e.g. Benoit.
> >>
> >> I think it’d be a great boost for the project if the main website (or
> sub-page) would have a direct pointer to the various offerings that exist
> so end users get a feel for how good they can be taken care of, if needed.
> >>
> >> Say we all agree that it’s a good idea*, there are a few open questions:
> >> - who decides which offerings get listed?

if we restrict it - I think it should be reviewed / tested by a group of
people (review team?) and approve in consensus.

> >> - what would be a rule or guideline for refusing an entry?

if the before mentioned group has objections concerning:

* general quality of the service / product
* not following the branding and trademark rules
* not clear who the people are behind the service
* "black hat" people at the service

> >> - how do we deal with offers that turn out not to be so good after all?

that's a hard question. Because of that, I proposed the review team above.
The service should be tested and granted for good. Maybe we say "after our
review and at this moment we think this is a good service. But we reserve
the right to remove the service at a later point if it comes to our
attention, that the service has become bad" or sth. like this. I think you
get the idea. So this goes a bit in a "CouchDB approved service"
certificate or sth. similar.

> >> - how can we avoid a “first come first serve” rush to offer something
> first?
> >> - etc.

If I understand correctly I would like to ask, why there should be first
come first serve at all? If there are more similar services, why not adding
them all?

So the list above does maybe miss one point:

- who is going to test the service?

> >> *If* we are going anywhere, I think we should look at other Apache
> projects and other open source projects and come up with guidelines that
> answer the above questions (and the ones you come up with :)

+1

> >> *- If we don’t agree that’s a good idea, that’s also fine, I just
> wanted to get a discussion around this going :)
> >>
> >> What do you think?

Basically a very great idea imho.

Cheers

Andy