couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Andy Wenk <andyw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: AdvocateHub rewards
Date Fri, 31 Oct 2014 13:15:26 GMT
On 31 October 2014 13:30, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:

> > On 31 Oct 2014, at 09:25 , Andy Wenk <andywenk@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > Jan,
> >
> > this is a very fair point. But I think it could be avoided if we add sth.
> > like "Thanks to all the awesome work of the contributors, this release is
> > again so cool ..." If there is a very big part created by one person, why
> > not name him also?
>
> Or her. It puts focus on things that are shippable. It shadows things that
> go on in the background, that are essential, say JIRA triaging or Pull
> Request Reviews. Someone might spend more time on that than someone else
> with a big new feature and they wouldn’t get credit. I’d like to avoid
> that,
> and I think we have plenty of good incentives. It’s not that we are at a
> loss as to what to offer people.

sry - for sure her also. I do understand this. Again, dedicating a  release
does not have to do anything with value compared to other contributions.
But I see the point that this could be viewed from the outside in that way.
What would be wrong.

> > But on the other hand, we have the contributors list and
> > the people earn respect because they can be found in the commit history.
> > The developers working on CouchDB do it, because they believe in the
> > project and want to help creating awesome software. Not to see their name
> > in any special announcement. At least, that's the point for me.
>
> Exactly, we should value people because they are committed to CouchDB,
> regardless of their contribution. Highlighting some people in the community
> creates a disparity that can have very adverse effects on a community.

That is very true. You are right.

> > So I can understand your (and Lena's) concerns but I personally do not
> see
> > this a s such a big issue.
>
> Both Lena and I had some experience with this this year in a community of
> six people and avoiding a mix of “shipping culture” and “hero worship” and
> instead a focus on people made all the difference for us.

sorry to hear that. I would be more than sad if the outcome of this
marketing idea would be something like this. With this knowledge, I am
starting to be convinced, that the idea could result in problems for the
community. I am strongly against taking this risk.

> > Maybe we could make a quick questionnaire (Google form thingy?) on dev@
> > to get a feeling for this?
>
> Why is there a need to push this through? We have plenty of rewards for
> AdvocateHub. Let’s get that out and see how it goes. If we need to dial
> up the reward-meter, let’s get back together and think about what we can
> offer.

Because it is good to know how we can rise the reward-meter from the
beginning. That was the idea. Keep it open and learn what the community
thinks about this. But ....

I hear you! I am now at the point top agree, that we should start with the
other rewards. Thanls for taking the time to outline this very clearly <3 :)

> Best
> Jan
> --

So I am -0 with the idea to dedicate releases at this moment.

Cheers

Andy

> >> I fear that someone who built a significant feature for a release would
> >> feel they need recognition as well, but they don’t because they aren’t
> >> reflected in this (AFAIK). If we get into dedicated specific code-
> >> contributors, where do we do the cutoff? What about people who not write
> >> features, but review every pull request? It gets messy fast. I don’t
> want
> >> to get into that. Plus there are plenty of great rewards already and I’m
> >> sure once this is rolling, we will think of a lot more, too :)
> >>
> >> Best
> >> Jan
> >> --

> is
> >> appropriate as a name (in terms of our bylaws and CoC (which wouldn't
> have
> >> to be a discussion then at all), but also in terms of marketing.

> can

> release

This

--