couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Linking to Professional Services
Date Wed, 15 Oct 2014 11:30:34 GMT
Heya Marketingers,

one of the things I keep noticing in the field is that people and companies decide against
using CouchDB because there are no professional services or support offerings.

My main objective is showing that CouchDB is a viable solution and that commercial services
are being catered to.

Of course there is Cloudant, but there are enough scenarios where that’s not an option.

Also of course, there are a number of people and companies that offer services for CouchDB,
e.g. Benoit.

I think it’d be a great boost for the project if the main website (or sub-page) would have
a direct pointer to the various offerings that exist so end users get a feel for how good
they can be taken care of, if needed.

Say we all agree that it’s a good idea*, there are a few open questions:
 - who decides which offerings get listed?
 - what would be a rule or guideline for refusing an entry?
 - how do we deal with offers that turn out not to be so good after all?
 - how can we avoid a “first come first serve” rush to offer something first?
 - etc.

*If* we are going anywhere, I think we should look at other Apache projects and other open
source projects and come up with guidelines that answer the above questions (and the ones
you come up with :)

*- If we don’t agree that’s a good idea, that’s also fine, I just wanted to get a discussion
around this going :)

What do you think?

Best
Jan