couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Linking to Professional Services
Date Wed, 15 Oct 2014 14:09:01 GMT

On 15 Oct 2014, at 14:05 , Alexander Shorin <kxepal@gmail.com> wrote:

> No, I mean about to save ourselfs from the same history about splitting CouchDB team
and creating new fork product, not exactly from some new thing with *couch* in name.

Ah, got it, sorry for misreading this!

I do think we should encourage people forking CouchDB and making their own product with services
and everything, like Cloudera does with Hadoop and so on. This is a main reason why the ASF
exists in the first place. Cloudant, in a way, does this already, and it is great for everybody,
I’d like more of that :)

That said, we need to be a lot more diligent about this than we have in the past, because
of the example you mention. This is exactly why I am bringing this up now :)

Both of that said, I don’t think this is a case we need to cover for now / until someone
actually wants to go ahead with this. For now I’d be fine with covering support and services.

> Sorry, I misread your email idea.
>
> Was thought about creation own commercial CouchDB support in
> additional to community one for those who need more then just a help.
>
> With linking to existed professional services we should be ensured that they are reliable
and provides well qualified service.

Right, how do we do that? :)

> Also, we shouldn't discourage regular community-driven support in case of "official support"
commercial ones. Not sure how we'll handle this right.

Definitely, I see this framed in a way that it explicitly speaks to people who are specifically
are looking for, say, commercial support. This isn’t to discourage the existing support
channels, just add more offerings to help more people :)

Best
Jan
--

> --
>

> On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 3:44 PM, Alexander Shorin <kxepal@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Well, we have branding guidelines in the works as well. People won’t be able
to use *couch* in their offering’s names.