couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Joan Touzet <woh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: New motto?
Date Thu, 30 Oct 2014 20:36:22 GMT
In New England, there's a restaurant chain called Bickford's.
Their motto is "Breakfast anytime." Short, simple, to the point.
(And now I want some pancakes, darn it!)

What about "Data anywhere, any time"?

-Joan

----- Original Message -----
From: "Noah Slater" <nslater@apache.org>
To: marketing@couchdb.apache.org
Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2014 4:16:13 PM
Subject: Re: New motto?

Okay, so a while ago we had this discussion about what CouchDB's "why"
was. i.e. What's our purpose.

There are three questions we can answer, at various points in our
marketing material:

Why? - What's our shared goal?
How? - How are we working towards it?
What? - What are the particulars of that approach.

Most projects get this the wrong way round. In fact, we have done. We
tell you about JSON and HTTP and whatever up front. That's the what.
It's not interesting.

We've had suggestions to use the motto "The database that
replicates/syncs". That's better. But this is the how. We're telling
you how we're working towards our shared goal. Still no explicit goal.

Now. You look at Apple, and their motto was "think different". It was
always about challenging the status quo and putting the user first.
They just happened to be doing that by building a computer. (Now a
phone, a watch, etc, etc...)

The thing about stating your values up front is that you attract
people with the same values. They "believe" in you and what you're
doing in a very emotional way.

Compare this to Dell. You know anybody who's passionate about Dell?
"Hey, we build powerful computers. Buy one." Okay sure, maybe. But I'm
not gonna *feel* anything about it.

So, let's talk about Couch.

I think that our core value is giving people the power to do what they
want with their data. To keep it where ever they want. To move it
where ever they want. And for this to be as easy as possible.

Here's a sample formulation

 "We want to put your data in your hands. We're gonna do that by
making it easy to move your anywhere you want. We just happen to
building a database."

arkos has a great slogan: "Your data, your rules"

This is where we need to be heading. This isn't about syncing. This is
about giving people the power to move their data into and out of
whatever environment, platform, and device they want to.

Data autonomy?

Some other notes:

Mikeal Rogers said to me that after working with Couch, he started to
take it for granted that getting data back out of a database should be
as easy as putting it in. (But apparently this isn't so) He said this
was a unique feature of CouchDB.

Tom Dale once said something about the need to share and distribute
data. No silos. Host individual sites in your own server. Can't
remember the context, just have it in my notes.

But this ties into the IndieWebCamp concept of POSSE.

http://indiewebcamp.com/POSSE

And also dovetails with OfflineFirst, things like unhosted, and the
growing movement of people who want  local data ownership.

Also think about the fact that CouchDB is more like Git than
PostgreSQL. (Thanks Jan, for the analogy.) Decentralised data,
workflows, syncing, etc. What is this about really? It's about
enabling decentralised data management. Ties into the same concept.

Access your data anywhere
Access your data offline
Decentralised data management
Puts you in control of your own data
Local data ownership
Grants you data autonomy
Your data, your rules
Puts your data back in your hands

^ Not slogans, just prompts.

What's our why? If we find that, we'll have our slogan.

On 30 October 2014 19:45, Andy Ellicott <andy@cloudant.com> wrote:
> I think I read something recently that there's more mobile than web app development happening
these days, so "web" might end up sounding outdated.

> Random input:
> "Synchronicity" is a word we're using to differentiate couchdb-style dbs from others.
Feel free to reuse or take inspiration from that...or not :)

--
Noah Slater
https://twitter.com/nslater