couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: CouchDB referrals?
Date Tue, 08 Jul 2014 16:39:57 GMT
I've been looking at diversity figures as part of my research for an
article I'm writing.

One of the things that really stood out to me is that if you look at
the diversity figure in OSS projects, they've increased from around
1.5% to around 11% over the space of 7 years. In that same time, the
increase in speaker diversity is almost double that.

There could be lost of reasons for this. (Unfortunately, the state of
survey data is very poor.) But one of my theories is that conferences
are actually doing active outreach.

So my idea is this: OSS projects should be doing active outreach.
Communicating to people that this is a project with a diversity
statement, a CoC, etc, and that we're looking for diverse
contributions!

Lena is right about conditions not being good for some people. And for
that, we might actually want to start thinking about offering grants
for some people to contribute. But that's a separate idea that we can
talk about later.

Anyway, this referrals thing might be good for this. A way for people
to recommend diverse contributors to us, and we can do active
outreach. What do you think?

On 10 June 2014 14:42, Andy Wenk <andy@nms.de> wrote:
> [...]
>> it may be hard or not that effective in terms of increasing diversity.
>> Still, I think that it would be worth a trial to see how this goes - and
>> perhaps also to think about how this can be an opportunity to build a
>> reward system for less privileged people (as there are few to none in OSS
>> structures at the moment). I know that this is a hard one, but when we're
>> talking about openness and aiming for diversity, I see this as one of the
>> core problems (to which I don't know a solution yet myself, but which
>> doesn't mean that there is none).
>>
>> On 09.06.2014, at 15:58, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> > I have another idea to float:
>> >
>> > Advocates have the opportunity to refer a designer, author, marketing
>> > person, dev, etc. We personally reach out to them with a tailored
>> > email invitation. (We'd pre-write a few of these, one for each area of
>> > the project.) The email would outline what we do, and then go into a
>> > few details about the a certain area of contribution, with pointers to
>> > resources for getting started, etc.
>> >
>> > If the person starts contributing, the person who referred them is
>> > awarded with points. If we eventually elect that person, the person
>> > who referred them gets more points. (I believe this is directly
>> > analogous to how client referrals typically work on the platform.)
>> >
>> > Contributions are the capital of OSS. People's time and attention is
>> > our most important resource.
>> >
>> > So here's the analogy:
>> >
>> > Traditional referrals program:
>> >
>> > - Advocates refer individuals who "convert" by paying (contributing)
>> money.
>> >
>> > OSS referrals program:
>> >
>> > - Advocates refer individuals who "convert" by paying (contributing)
>> time.
>> >
>> > I don't think many people explicitly think about OSS in these terms.
>> > But when you do, a lot of things become clear. For example:
>> > recruitment should be your number one priority! Recruitment is your
>> > sales channel, effectively.
>> >
>> > "Sales channel" makes sense if you see time and attention as a sort of
>> currency.
>> >
>> > Most people think that the measure of health for an OSS project is how
>> > many downloads you have, or how many users you have. That's because in
>> > a business, these things translate to revenue. And revenue is your
>> > lifeblood
>> >
>> > But if time and attention are the capital of OSS, then contributions
>> > are your lifeblood. And it seems likely that traditional business
>> > practices used to maximise revenue might be applicable to maximising
>> > contribution.
>> >
>> > If we did something like this, would we be the first OSS project to
>> > actively reach out to people to invite them to contribute?
>> >
>> > Inviting speakers (usually from pools) is a very effective way of
>> > increasing speaker diversity at a conference. (Citations available
>> > upon request.) Perhaps invitation is one of the ways we can increase

In the

So the

>> > --
>> > Noah Slater