couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Andy Ellicott <aelli...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Cloudant and CouchDB branding
Date Thu, 12 Jun 2014 15:40:04 GMT
Hi again,
Doing my best to stay synched with this thread. To Jan's point...

We will shout very loudly about new functionality released in CouchDB:
What's the release status of Fauxton?
ETA for the BigCouch merger?

Andy Ellicott
VP Marketing
Cloudant.com, an IBM company
200 State Street
Boston, MA  02109
(m) +1 603 205 2804

From:   Jan Lehnardt <jan@thehoodiefirm.com>
To:     marketing@couchdb.apache.org
Cc:     Sally Khudairi <sallykhudairi@yahoo.com>, Noah Slater
<nslater@apache.org>, "TheApacheFoundation ." <press@apache.org>
Date:   06/12/2014 11:30 AM
Subject:        Re: Cloudant and CouchDB branding

On 12 Jun 2014, at 17:18 , Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:

> I think one of the problems we have here is that Cloudant seems
> reluctant to talk about CouchDB. If you go to the Cloudant website, it
> is not at all apparent that Cloudant is a CouchDB provider.
>
> Hortonworks homepage hero text:
>
>> We do Hadoop.
>> 100% Apache Hadoop
>> HDP : The completely open, versatile Hadoop Data Platform.
>
> Cloudera homepage hero text:
>
>> Meet Cloudera 5
>> The leading Hadoop platform just got better. Learn how it enables an
enterprise data hub

> Cloudant homepage hero text:
>
>> BUILD MORE
>> GROW MORE
>> Your data layer is ready…NoSQL DBaaS that's always on, scales
massively, and managed 24x7 by the big data experts at Cloudant.

> "CouchDB" is replaced with "NoSQL" as if its a naughty word or
something.

> I suppose some of this may be historical. If you talk about Cloudant
> being a CouchDB provider, then people Cloudant has to start dealing
> with the same Couchbase confusion that we deal with.
>
> But in many ways, Cloudant has the bigger voice. By avoiding the
> issue, and by not putting a stake in the ground and speaking loudly
> about CouchDB, Cloudant is missing an opportunity to help us with
> branding.
>
> We really need help with branding. Cloudant could do us such a huge
> favour by fully embracing "CouchDB" as a brand, and speaking about it
> loudly. This in turn will strengthen this project, and hence Cloudant
> itself.

From the sidelines: I believe this last paragraph is indeed the plan,
at Cloudant that just hasn’t transpired yet.

I’m happy the larger issue is being talked about, though. CouchDB is
not a name in a larger discussion while two of its siblings are and we
need to step up our game there.

Thanks for bringing this up, Noah!

Best
Jan
--

http://www.informationweek.com/big-data/big-data-analytics/16-nosql-newsql-databases-to-watch/d/d-id/1269559?image_number=1

>> It actually took me several minutes to spot that Cloudant was in that
>> list. I had a draft tweet reply asking why it wasn't mentioned before
>> I spotted it.
>>
>> The logo is about 66% the IBM logo, then 33% the Cloudant logo. Which
>> is a bit weird, if you ask me. But there you go. That's Cloudant's
>> issue, not ours.
>>
>> What I do take issue with is that in a list of 15 top NoSQL databases,
>> CouchDB doesn't get a mention, but a company that packages up
>> (admittedly, a fork of, at this point) CouchDB does. And it is
>> Cloudant's name that gets press.
>>
>> We have:
>>
>> - MongoDB
>> - Riak
>> - Apache HBase
>> - Cassandra
>> - Cloudant
>>
>> One of those is not like the others. Anyone else see the problem with
this?

>> What can we do about it?
>>
>> The author of the article posted this tweet about it:
>>
>> https://twitter.com/DHenschen/status/477089827981377536
>>
>> I replied with two tweets:
>>
>>> @DHenschen thanks for the coverage of Cloudant, a CouchDB provider!
Just
>>> wondering why you don’t mention CouchDB specifically?
>>
>> https://twitter.com/nslater/status/477104465976512512
>>
>>> @DHenschen I imagine that if you were covering Hadoop, you’d mention
>>> Hadoop specifically, and not Cloudera or Hortonworks.
>>
>> https://twitter.com/nslater/status/477104509513396224
>>
>> I spoke to Jan about this before sending. Jan mentions that this is
>> probably the result of Cloudant having a strong PR/AR game.
>>
>> We don't engage PR/AR at all. I'm wondering what we can do to change
>> this. Because this article (while cool for Cloudant) makes me very
>> sad.
>>
>> Sally, is there anything you can do to help us avoid this sort of
>> situation in the future? I brand has really taken a beating in recent
>> years, and stuff like this really does not help us at all.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> --
>> Noah Slater
>> https://twitter.com/nslater
>>

> --
> Noah Slater
> https://twitter.com/nslater

Jan Lehnardt
The Neighbourhoodie Software GmbH
Adalbertstr. 7-8, 10999 Berlin
neighbourhood.ie

Handelsregister HRB 157851 B Amtsgericht Charlottenburg
Geschäftsführung: Jan Lehnardt, Lena Reinhard

[attachment "signature.asc" deleted by Andy Ellicott/Cambridge/IBM]