couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Andy Ellicott <aelli...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Cloudant and CouchDB branding
Date Thu, 12 Jun 2014 15:33:51 GMT

(m) +1 603 205 2804

From:   Andy Wenk <andywenk@apache.org>
To:     Sally Khudairi <sallykhudairi@yahoo.com>
Cc:     Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org>, "marketing@couchdb.apache.org"
<marketing@couchdb.apache.org>, "TheApacheFoundation ." <press@apache.org>
Date:   06/12/2014 11:21 AM
Subject:        Re: Cloudant and CouchDB branding

Noah and Sally,

thanks for bringing this up. Yes it's frustrating. And let's not forget
about the existing confusion with Couchbase also. CouchDB is one of the
first NoSQL databases and still a plain open source project. Noah you have
often stated, that as a community existing out of volunteers, we don't
have
the power Couchbase or MongDB Inc has regarding marketing activities.

I remember the email sent by Adam K. who asked, what IBM could do to help
Apache CouchDB. There we have one point: marketing and press presence.
Even
though Lena is already doing a great awesome job, we need a bigger lever
not sink among the other NoSQL databases.

Thanks a lot for all your help. It's highly appreciated. Please let me
know
what I can do to help ...

Cheers

Andy

http://www.informationweek.com/big-data/big-data-analytics/16-nosql-newsql-databases-to-watch/d/d-id/1269559?image_number=1

> It actually took me several minutes to spot that Cloudant was in that
> list. I had a draft tweet reply asking why it wasn't mentioned before
> I spotted it.
>
> The logo is about 66% the IBM logo, then 33% the Cloudant logo. Which
> is a bit weird, if you ask me. But there you go. That's Cloudant's
> issue, not ours.
>
> What I do take issue with is that in a list of 15 top NoSQL databases,
> CouchDB doesn't get a mention, but a company that packages up
> (admittedly, a fork of, at this point) CouchDB does. And it is
> Cloudant's name that gets press.
>
> We have:
>
> - MongoDB
> - Riak
> - Apache HBase
> - Cassandra
> - Cloudant
>
> One of those is not like the others. Anyone else see the problem with
this?

> What can we do about it?
>
> The author of the article posted this tweet about it:
>
> https://twitter.com/DHenschen/status/477089827981377536
>
> I replied with two tweets:
>
> > @DHenschen thanks for the coverage of Cloudant, a CouchDB provider!
Just