couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Sebastian Rothbucher <sebastianrothbuc...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: We need a better slogan
Date Thu, 12 Jun 2014 19:52:32 GMT
Hi Jan,

Great idea!

Not sure if s/o else claims/owns it, but what about "the Web in YOUR hands"

Good luck
    Sebastian

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

> Am 12.06.2014 um 21:31 schrieb Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org>:
>
> Apache CouchDB™ is a database
> that uses JSON for documents,
> JavaScript for MapReduce indexes,
> and regular HTTP for its API
>

> What a bunch of baloney! I only say this because I helped to write and publish this.
Noah and I developed this in the running up of the 1.2.0 release that coincided with the new
website that was meant to be a watershed-the-draught-years-are-over release. I think it fulfilled
its purpose, but it won’t suffice today.

> The CouchDB slogan, or byline, or motto is titling all our public communication: It’s
the first thing thousands of visitors on our website see. It is the first line in all our
board reports and it is the introduction in all our release announcements. It’s the one
sentence that gets quoted the most and as it stands it is a wasted opportunity, as it is not
sticky, not memorable and not aligned with our goals.

> We need a slogan that rolls of anyones tongue. We need a slogan that captures succinctly
what makes CouchDB unique. We need a slogan that captures our values.

> I realise that this is a MAJOR bike-shed and that’s why I am bringing this up here
rather than dev@ for now. I’ve tried dev@ before and it didn’t go anywhere. My strawperson
proposal there was “CouchDB,a database that replicates” and while that is a lot sickier,
doesn’t really help either.

> Over drinks with Noah and Dave in Berlin last winter we improvised a few slogans that
would capture the (what we think) value of CouchDB, rather than the technicalities of it.
The last thing we arrived at is “CouchDB puts the data in your hands.”. It isn’t perfect,
but better what we have now and it opens us up to fill in all the background story that we
need to make that claim: capture the ecosystem of Couch-Replication compatible projects and
the distinct values of their interoperability.

> What I’d like to see in this group to take this proposal and evolve it into something
we are all comfortable with. We can then prepare all our public facing properties to reflect
the changes and see how that goes.

> I deliberately steer this away from a website redesign, or major rework on our messaging
or even a lengthy philosophical debate on “the why of CouchDB” in order to actually just
figure out a better slogan that we can use to move forward.