couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@thehoodiefirm.com>
Subject Re: We need a better slogan
Date Thu, 12 Jun 2014 20:03:17 GMT

On 12 Jun 2014, at 21:59 , Mike Miller <mike@cloudant.com> wrote:

> I like it.  I think that Apache CouchDB should lead us into the
> post-Snowden, net neutrality era.

while I personally agree, I’m not sure that that’s a point we should be too upfront about.
I’d like to avoid what happened to bittorrent, great technology that is forever tainted
with legal issues. But maybe we should force it and get some publicity from it :)

>  I once heard it described as, "what the internet was supposed to be."

That was me, I’m glad that stuck :D

Best
Jan
--

> -M
>

> On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 12:52 PM, Sebastian Rothbucher <
> sebastianrothbucher@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Jan,
>>
>> Great idea!
>>
>> Not sure if s/o else claims/owns it, but what about "the Web in YOUR hands"
>>
>> Good luck
>>    Sebastian
>>
>> Von meinem iPhone gesendet
>>
>>> Am 12.06.2014 um 21:31 schrieb Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org>:
>>>
>>> Apache CouchDB™ is a database
>>> that uses JSON for documents,
>>> JavaScript for MapReduce indexes,
>>> and regular HTTP for its API
>>>

>>> What a bunch of baloney! I only say this because I helped to write and
>> publish this. Noah and I developed this in the running up of the 1.2.0
>> release that coincided with the new website that was meant to be a
>> watershed-the-draught-years-are-over release. I think it fulfilled its
>> purpose, but it won’t suffice today.
>>>
>>> The CouchDB slogan, or byline, or motto is titling all our public
>> communication: It’s the first thing thousands of visitors on our website
>> see. It is the first line in all our board reports and it is the
>> introduction in all our release announcements. It’s the one sentence that
>> gets quoted the most and as it stands it is a wasted opportunity, as it is
>> not sticky, not memorable and not aligned with our goals.
>>>
>>> We need a slogan that rolls of anyones tongue. We need a slogan that
>> captures succinctly what makes CouchDB unique. We need a slogan that
>> captures our values.
>>>
>>> I realise that this is a MAJOR bike-shed and that’s why I am bringing
>> this up here rather than dev@ for now. I’ve tried dev@ before and it
>> didn’t go anywhere. My strawperson proposal there was “CouchDB,a database
>> that replicates” and while that is a lot sickier, doesn’t really help
>> either.
>>>
>>> Over drinks with Noah and Dave in Berlin last winter we improvised a few
>> slogans that would capture the (what we think) value of CouchDB, rather
>> than the technicalities of it. The last thing we arrived at is “CouchDB
>> puts the data in your hands.”. It isn’t perfect, but better what we have
>> now and it opens us up to fill in all the background story that we need to
>> make that claim: capture the ecosystem of Couch-Replication compatible
>> projects and the distinct values of their interoperability.
>>>
>>> What I’d like to see in this group to take this proposal and evolve it
>> into something we are all comfortable with. We can then prepare all our
>> public facing properties to reflect the changes and see how that goes.
>>>
>>> I deliberately steer this away from a website redesign, or major rework
>> on our messaging or even a lengthy philosophical debate on “the why of
>> CouchDB” in order to actually just figure out a better slogan that we can
> [...]

Jan Lehnardt
The Neighbourhoodie Software GmbH
Adalbertstr. 7-8, 10999 Berlin
neighbourhood.ie

Handelsregister HRB 157851 B Amtsgericht Charlottenburg
Geschäftsführung: Jan Lehnardt, Lena Reinhard