couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Cloudant and CouchDB branding
Date Thu, 12 Jun 2014 15:18:41 GMT
I think one of the problems we have here is that Cloudant seems
reluctant to talk about CouchDB. If you go to the Cloudant website, it
is not at all apparent that Cloudant is a CouchDB provider.

Hortonworks homepage hero text:

> We do Hadoop.
> 100% Apache Hadoop
> HDP : The completely open, versatile Hadoop Data Platform.

Cloudera homepage hero text:

> Meet Cloudera 5
> The leading Hadoop platform just got better. Learn how it enables an enterprise data
hub

Cloudant homepage hero text:

> BUILD MORE
> GROW MORE
> Your data layer is ready…NoSQL DBaaS that's always on, scales massively, and managed
24x7 by the big data experts at Cloudant.

"CouchDB" is replaced with "NoSQL" as if its a naughty word or something.

I suppose some of this may be historical. If you talk about Cloudant
being a CouchDB provider, then people Cloudant has to start dealing
with the same Couchbase confusion that we deal with.

But in many ways, Cloudant has the bigger voice. By avoiding the
issue, and by not putting a stake in the ground and speaking loudly
about CouchDB, Cloudant is missing an opportunity to help us with
branding.

We really need help with branding. Cloudant could do us such a huge
favour by fully embracing "CouchDB" as a brand, and speaking about it
loudly. This in turn will strengthen this project, and hence Cloudant
itself.

--
Noah Slater
https://twitter.com/nslater