couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Cloudant and CouchDB branding
Date Thu, 12 Jun 2014 15:08:21 GMT
Hello marketing folks,

Check out this list of 15 NoSQL databases to watch, posted by the
Cloudant Twitter account:

http://www.informationweek.com/big-data/big-data-analytics/16-nosql-newsql-databases-to-watch/d/d-id/1269559?image_number=1

It actually took me several minutes to spot that Cloudant was in that
list. I had a draft tweet reply asking why it wasn't mentioned before
I spotted it.

The logo is about 66% the IBM logo, then 33% the Cloudant logo. Which
is a bit weird, if you ask me. But there you go. That's Cloudant's
issue, not ours.

What I do take issue with is that in a list of 15 top NoSQL databases,
CouchDB doesn't get a mention, but a company that packages up
(admittedly, a fork of, at this point) CouchDB does. And it is
Cloudant's name that gets press.

We have:

- MongoDB
- Riak
- Apache HBase
- Cassandra
- Cloudant

One of those is not like the others. Anyone else see the problem with this?

What can we do about it?

The author of the article posted this tweet about it:

https://twitter.com/DHenschen/status/477089827981377536

I replied with two tweets:

> @DHenschen thanks for the coverage of Cloudant, a CouchDB provider! Just wondering why
you don’t mention CouchDB specifically?

https://twitter.com/nslater/status/477104465976512512

> @DHenschen I imagine that if you were covering Hadoop, you’d mention Hadoop specifically,
and not Cloudera or Hortonworks.

https://twitter.com/nslater/status/477104509513396224

I spoke to Jan about this before sending. Jan mentions that this is
probably the result of Cloudant having a strong PR/AR game.

We don't engage PR/AR at all. I'm wondering what we can do to change
this. Because this article (while cool for Cloudant) makes me very
sad.

Sally, is there anything you can do to help us avoid this sort of
situation in the future? I brand has really taken a beating in recent
years, and stuff like this really does not help us at all.

Thanks,

--
Noah Slater
https://twitter.com/nslater