couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Dirkjan Ochtman <dirk...@ochtman.nl>
Subject Re: [REQUEST] Promote the CouchDB 1.6.0 release
Date Fri, 13 Jun 2014 13:35:47 GMT

Right. I kind of merged that into the SCHEDULE email, where I said:

> I will use these release notes:
>
>   http://www.apache.org/dist/couchdb/notes/1.6.0/
>
> (Let me know if you have any suggestions for improvements.)

Part of the problem with the current release procedure is that it is
not factored well enough into interrupts that drive the schedule. E.g.
the RM has to prepare candidate, then wait for the vote. After the
vote, call for binaries and wait for those. In this case, the section
of the procedure describing the release notes stuff comes after the
section describing how to prepare binaries (which I generally don't do
as an RM). So it's kind of easy to skip.

Also, I believe in the past not many people wanted to have much to do
with crafting the release notes (most people IIRC wanted to generate
them automatically from commit messages). I think the current form is
a bit more friendly, so I spend time each release to go over each
commit in the release, pick out things that are slightly more
relevant/noticeable and describe them in a user-friendly way. I'm not
sure what you guys want to add beyond what we have now (or who is
going to spend time to add it), but I think a small prompt that the
release notes have been prepared should be enough to prompt it.

Adding whatever needs adding to the relevant What's New documentation
chapter might be even better, and can be done at any time by anyone.

Cheers,

Dirkjan