couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Alexander Shorin <kxe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [REQUEST] Promote the CouchDB 1.6.0 release
Date Wed, 11 Jun 2014 14:43:35 GMT
On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 6:22 PM, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:
> On 11 June 2014 15:52, Alexander Shorin <kxepal@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Another problem is that as more non-interesting news
>> we sharing as more likely these posts will be ignored
>
> Can you clarify this point? What "non-interesting" news?

When you continuously receive non-interesting news from single source
which you're not directly subscribed what is your the most probably
action? You'll mute such posts (actively via social network ignore
system or passively as like as we're all ignoring any advertisement
blocks on websites).
Under "non-interesting" I mean the news as like as ours. "Foo get
release X.Y.Z. This is feature release". "Okay " is the only reaction
of users who are not directly related to "Foo" project and obliviously
such news wouldn't raise any interest from their side.

>> Marketing isn't only about
>> managing existed community, but also is about attracting new members.
>
> Agreed. However, my time and attention is limited, so I need to be
> careful where I spend it. :) One way of prioritising is pursuing the
> channels that get us the most exposure. At the moment, that's Twitter,
> Hacker News, and Reddit. Everything else is secondary.

HN for this release is not very active ):

>> There is no need use analytics and pageviews to guess that with single
>> dry sentences it's merely hard to rich this goal...
>
> I agree. But producing the summaries takes time, which again, is my
> only limited resource. :) I was looking through my Google+ feed today
> (for the first time in several years) and I noticed that many people
> share links without any description whatsoever.

And that's a pity ): Sometimes I do the same when I have nothing to
add or just share-to-bookmark for myself.
As a good example I could recommend this "community" (better call it
G+ news feed of single man):
https://plus.google.com/communities/111792909020617121355
Almost every shared link preluded with short description about if it
was missed in <meta> tags or contains non-attractive title. If not
these annotations, I would probably ignore most of these posts missing
some interesting ones.

>> ...but wait, I don't wear marketing hat (:
>
> Sure you do. You're on the list, you're on the marketing team. :)

Ouch... ((:

>>> If you're like to help, that'd be sweet.
>>
>> How?
>
> Perhaps by writing these summaries and posting them to both Google+
> and Facebook, and also taking over the management of both of these
> channels, working to grow and nurture the communities there.
> Interested?

Ok, but I could only handle G+ channel - don't have an account and not
plan to sign up to FB. However, as for preparing summaries this could
be done here at marketing@ right before release would be announced.

--