couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Andy Wenk <andyw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [NEWS] This weeks's CouchDB News are ready for feedback
Date Tue, 24 Jun 2014 08:32:57 GMT
On 24 June 2014 10:22, Dave Cottlehuber <dch@jsonified.com> wrote:

> > I don't think so. We can make decisions about the blog on marketing@
> > imo, as the blog is a marketing property. This is how we'd be
> > operating under the drafted bylaws.
> >
> > Quick poll: who here would be happy with us switching the blog over?
> >

> I’m +1 on moving, & I’d recommend hugo[1] — markdown supported, static
> site, works cross-platform, can be hosted/managed in a git repo if
> required, served out of anything. Having markdown and supporting html
> includes means we can easily theme & move between tools in future.
> octopress[2] and jekyll[3] are also options but I am not so fond of
> them.

I don't wanna start a huge discussion about which tool to use and I highly
appreciate your input :). Let me throw in my 50 cents anyway.

Dave, as you know I did some work with Hugo in the Swirl project. My blog
on the other hand is now created with jekyll. I have to admit, that jekyll
is way easier to use and is also based on git (
https://github.com/andywenk/andywenk.github.io). So my conclusion is that
hugo is great for usage as a documentation tool and jekyll fits better for
a blog.

On the other hand, the software on blog.couchdb.org is already a WP. So do
we need to change that?

> > And who wants to do the data migration?
>
> I can do it, I like tedious repetitive tasks that can be done whenever
> a few spare minutes appear.

he he :)

> I should be able to revert the current
> HTML versions into markdown via pandoc without too much pain.

oh yes - I was wondering how we can manage that and pandoc should be
perfect.

When using pandoc in the way Dave proposed, it is maybe a good idea to
rethink WP but I have to admit that I don't know with what format one can
feed WP for content. Maybe also Markdown?

> A+
> Dave
>
> [1]: http://hugo.spf13.com/
> [2]: http://octopress.org/