couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Lena Reinhard <l...@thehoodiefirm.com>
Subject Re: CouchDB referrals?
Date Mon, 09 Jun 2014 18:19:23 GMT
Marketing hat: keeping barriers for rewards low (e.g. already rewarding contributions of non-elected
ppl) sounds good, also adding more points if the person is elected. From this point of view,
I can also agree to seeing time and attention as a sort of currency.

Community Management hat: although I agree that inviting people personally to speak at confs
helps, I think that the analogy of speaker invitations for increasing diversity is only applicable
in parts here.
In this case, marginalized people may still be only able to be advocates (as it's less effort
than the actual "contribution"). So even if this referral option may lead to a more diverse
group being able to make referrals, the people referred still have to be people with enough
time and attention span etc. to contribute freely, especially for then being elected (->
and bringing the referring person more points). Thus, from this perspective, it's a good idea
for increasing the number of referrals. But it may be hard or not that effective in terms
of increasing diversity.
Still, I think that it would be worth a trial to see how this goes - and perhaps also to think
about how this can be an opportunity to build a reward system for less privileged people (as
there are few to none in OSS structures at the moment). I know that this is a hard one, but
when we're talking about openness and aiming for diversity, I see this as one of the core
problems (to which I don't know a solution yet myself, but which doesn't mean that there is
none).

"Dave Cottlehuber" <dave@muse.net.nz>, "Jan L" <jan@apache.org>