couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Suggestion: Weekly news for Apache projects
Date Fri, 02 May 2014 16:19:01 GMT
[Note the mixing of private and public lists.]

Hi Sally/marketing folks,

I'd thought I'd give you a heads up about how well Weekly News blog
posts are going for a few Apache projects in the hopes that other
people are inspired to do the same.

It all started with CloudStack:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-cloudstack-dev/201301.mbox/%3C1357924012.3913.140661176333021.1FD4E742@webmail.messagingengine.com%3E

And then we brought it to CouchDB:

https://blogs.apache.org/couchdb/entry/couchdb_weekly_news_may_1

It's been a massive success in our community. We've had lots of
positive feedback, and our blog remains one of the most popular blogs
across the whole foundation.

Recently, OpenOffice have started to do one too:

https://blogs.apache.org/OOo/entry/apache_openoffice_weekly_news_2

Interesting observation: the three projects doing weekly news now are
the only three Apache projects with marketing@ lists. Perhaps there's
a link between how much a project is thinking about marketing, and how
likely they are to do this sort of thing (which is a combination of
content marketing and community outreach).

Today's pageview stats across the foundation:

OOo, 6636
foundation, 5061
flex, 781
couchdb, 578
cloudstack, 466

Coincidence that the three projects with a focus on marketing and
regular blogging are in the top five there?

Anyway, I think it's a neat idea, and I think other projects could
benefit from a similar sort of activity.

Each blog post is an opportunity to promote the project across social
media and link sharing sites. They get a lot of traffic and help
summarise conversation and happenings from around the community.

I'd like to share this with more than just the press list. Where
should I take it? Is the pmcs@ list a good fit?

Thanks!

--
Noah Slater