couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Rahul Chaudhary <ra...@nosqlweekly.com>
Subject Re: NoSQL Weekly - Issue 174
Date Mon, 31 Mar 2014 01:40:11 GMT
Hi Andy,

Thanks for getting in touch. I will check it out.

Regards
Rahul

Sent from my iPhone

> On Mar 30, 2014, at 2:50 PM, Andy Wenk <andywenk@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Rahul,
>
> thanks for replying on Twitter :).
>
> As a member of the Apache CouchDB marketing team, I would like to introduce you to our
weekly news. We started last Thursday and provide the recent news about the Apache CouchDB
project and interesting topics around CouchDB from the community.

> We would be very happy when you visit our blog at http://blogs.apache.org/couchdb/ and
scan the latest news. If you would like to receive weekly push notifications about the news,
please let me know. We are in an early stage in the marketing setup and are happy about any
ideas on how to provide the news to you.

> We highly appreciate your efforts with collecting infos from the NoSQL world. Your newsletter
is an awesome resource and we would like to be part of it. We are convinced that Apache CouchDB
is of great value for many people and it's worth to spread the word about it.

team at marketing@couchdb.apache.org.

> Thanks a lot and all the best!
>
> Cheers
>
> Andy
>

>> On 27 March 2014 16:30, NoSQL Weekly <rahul@nosqlweekly.com> wrote:
>>
>> Email not displaying correctly? View it in your browser.
>>
>> Welcome to issue 174 of NoSQL Weekly. I would like to thank our sponsor this week,
Tokutek for their support. Be sure to download and try out their great product.

>> From Our Sponsor
>>
>> 	TokuMX is a high-performance distribution of MongoDB that increases performance
by 20x, reduces database size by 90%, and adds transactions with MVCC and ACID reliability.
You can switch between distros without having to make changes to your application. Download
today.

>> News
>>
>> Cassandra Hits One Million Writes Per Second on Google Compute Engine
>> This post shows how the Google Cloud Platform was able to sustain one million Cassandra
writes per second at a cost of $0.07 USD per million writes.

>> Articles, Tutorials and Talks
>>
>> Going Native with Apache Cassandra
>> This talk introduces the Cassandra native protocol, native drivers and Cassandra
Query Language (CQL). It is important for developers to be aware of this new way of integrating
with and querying Cassandra -- without using Thrift or RPC. There are various ways of tuning
that integration and modeling your data - all intended to make it easier and more productive
to build against Cassandra with some additional performance benefits.

>> Call me maybe: FoundationDB vs. Jepsen
>> This post is about what the author learned from running Jepsen against FoundationDB,
while sitting in a room with the developers that built the database. It discusses how Jepsen
works in general, how FoundationDB should respond in theory, and then use an internal logging
tool to show you how FoundationDB actually behaves when Jepsen tests it.

>> NoSQL and the Hybrid Cloud
>> If a NoSQL database can be deployed on-premise or it can be deployed in the cloud,
why can't it be deployed on-premise and in the cloud? It can, and it should. This article
highlights a variety of hybrid cloud use cases for NoSQL database deployments.

>> Implementing Graph-Based Applications
>> Graphs have proven to be widely applicable to model a range of business problems
and domains. Yet, the flexibility that graphs bring requires an additional level of attention
to implementation and an adaptation of familiar programming idioms to increase the benefits
while avoiding common pitfalls. The following topics summarise patterns and strategy the author
used across a number of Neo4j projects.

>> Quickly create a 100k Neo4j graph data model with Cypher only
>> We want to run some test queries on an existing graph model but have no sample data
at hand and also no input files (CSV,GraphML) that would provide it. Why not create quickly
it on our own just using cypher?

>> Introduction to Apache Falcon: Data Governance for Hadoop
>> Apache Falcon is a data governance engine that defines, schedules, and monitors data
management policies. Falcon allows Hadoop administrators to centrally define their data pipelines,
and then Falcon uses those definitions to auto-generate workflows in Apache Oozie.

>> Deploying Oracle NoSQL Database on AWS in 10 minutes
>> In this video, learn how to deploy Oracle NoSQL Database on AWS in 10 minutes. We
also demonstrate high availability features in case of node failure.

>> Schema detection with inheritance in Neo4j
>>
>> How-to: Use Parquet with Impala, Hive, Pig, and MapReduce
>>
>> Single Page Application with Angular.js, Node.js and MongoDB
>>
>> Caching Partial Traversals in Neo4j
>>
>> A practical comparison of Map-Reduce in MongoDB and RavenDB
>>

>> Books
>>
>> Hadoop For Dummies
>> Big data has become big business, and companies and organizations of all sizes are
struggling to find ways to retrieve valuable information from their massive data sets with
becoming overwhelmed. Enter Hadoop and this easy-to-understand For Dummies guide. Hadoop For
Dummies helps readers understand the value of big data, make a business case for using Hadoop,
navigate the Hadoop ecosystem, and build and manage Hadoop applications and clusters.

>> Interesting Projects, Tools and Libraries
>>
>> Tajo
>> An open source big data warehouse system in Hadoop.
>>
>> Beekeeper
>> Beekeeper is a Customizable, RealTime Graphing built on MongoDB and cube.
>>
>> vagrant-node
>> A vagrant setup for MongoDB and Nodejs web apps.
>>
>> redis-traffic-stats
>> Redis query analyzer for counting, traffic stats by command.
>>
>> Mongolike
>> A proof of concept MongoDB clone built on Postgres.
>>

>> Upcoming Events and Webinars
>>
>> Cleveland Big Data and Hadoop Meetup March 2014 - Cleveland, OH
>> There will be following talks
>> Intro to Data Center Networking
>> Networking for Cluster Computing
>> HBase key design for timeseries and business data
>>
>> Best Practices for Storing, Querying, and Visualizing Big Data - Palo Alto, CA
>> Join The Big Data Connection at Nimble Storage's beautiful campus in San Jose as
solution engineers and architects from Cloudera, Nimble Storage, ZoomData, and the American
Institute of Big Data Professionals present next-generation solution ideas around storage,
big data architecture, and analytics and visualization.

>> Netherlands Hadoop Meetup - Amsterdam, Netherlands
>> There will be following presentations
>> In-memory Computation and HDFS: What's Next?
>> Cascading
>> Balancing Data Collection and Privacy
>>
>> Graphs for Everyone: a guided tour to neo4j 2.0 - Amsterdam, Netherlands
>> Leading up to GotoCon Amsterdam in June 2014, we are organising some Neo4j 2.0 briefings
for those of you that are interested.

>> Introduction Into Graphs DBs - Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
>> This is an introductory session on what graph databases are, how they can be used,
what purposes that they serve and how they distinguish from other types of databases. During
this session we will present, explain and discuss introductory topics that require no prior
knowledge on graph databases at all. We will cover the concepts of a graph database as well
as couple of use cases from real life projects.

>> Hands-on Neo4j 2.0 with Jim Webber - Auckland, New Zealand
>> We'll introduce Neo4j 2.0 and the labelled property graph model to bring new folks
up to speed. We'll then look at how Neo4j's query language Cypher has evolved allowing us
to query large, sophisticated variably-structured data (aka graphs) rapidly in real time,
using examples from travel and (retail) recommendations.