couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Benjamin Young <byo...@bigbluehat.com>
Subject Website Copy Reworking
Date Wed, 26 Feb 2014 16:40:00 GMT
Hi all,

There's a larger effort to rethink/rewrite the CouchDB Website--which is
greatly needed, so super fabulous that we're endeavoring to do that. :)

Before we get there (or as we walk that road), there's some low hanging
fruit that I think we can and should pick first. I'd like to start at
the top, and work my way down a section at a time.

The first line on the website (ignoring navigation) reads this way
currently:

     Apache CouchDB^(TM) is a database
     that uses JSON for documents,
     JavaScript for MapReduce queries,
     and regular HTTP for an API

However, that's incorrect (JavaScript isn't used for querying) and has
confused many people--including some analysts and tech bloggers in the
wake of the Cloudant/IBM announcement.

So, to correct this and make that section tighter, I'd like to propose
the following:

     Apache CouchDB^(TM) is a database
     that uses JSON for documents,
     JavaScript for MapReduce indexes
     and regular HTTP for its API

Screenshot of this new text in place is here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ld6im36ql74jbo9/Screen%20Shot%202014-02-26%20at%2011.22.21%20AM.png
Short: http://bit.ly/1mBwAmj

It's a small iteration (by design), but hopefully clears up the common
confusion around indexing vs. querying.

Thoughts welcome.

Thanks!
Benjamin