couchdb-l10n mailing list archives

From Garren Smith <gar...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Top posting in threads on the list's
Date Fri, 24 Jan 2014 07:45:24 GMT
It is good to have these discussions, my only concern is that we scare off people that are
worried about sending a message to the mailing lists and getting it wrong. There was an email
earlier today where that happened to some degree. I'm all for some helpful guidelines but
we don't want to end up coming across as those people that complain about what way a message
is sent.

On 23 Jan 2014, at 9:27 PM, Jens Alfke <jens@couchbase.com> wrote:

> On Jan 23, 2014, at 1:03 AM, Benoit Chesneau <bchesneau@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Just following http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1855 is good.
>
> Etiquette changes over time, and this RFC is nearly 20 years old. Complaining about top-posting
is very "Get off my lawn, kids!"

> I try to inline-post, except if I'm composing on a phone. But I don't much mind what
style people use, as long as they don't quote the entire message and then add a line somewhere
in the middle of it.

>>     Since NetNews, especially, is proliferated by distributing the
>>     postings from one host to another, it is possible to see a
>>     response to a message before seeing the original.  Giving context
>>     helps everyone.
>
> Technology changes too. I remember the days of UUCP-based Netnews, but it hasn't been
that way in ages. Out-of-order receipt is no longer an issue, and nearly all mail clients
show threads, so it's not hard to see the context of a reply.