couchdb-l10n mailing list archives

From Jens Alfke <j...@couchbase.com>
Subject Re: Top posting in threads on the list's
Date Thu, 23 Jan 2014 19:27:49 GMT

On Jan 23, 2014, at 1:03 AM, Benoit Chesneau <bchesneau@gmail.com> wrote:

> Just following http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1855 is good.

Etiquette changes over time, and this RFC is nearly 20 years old. Complaining about top-posting
is very "Get off my lawn, kids!"

I try to inline-post, except if I'm composing on a phone. But I don't much mind what style
people use, as long as they don't quote the entire message and then add a line somewhere in
the middle of it.

>      Since NetNews, especially, is proliferated by distributing the
>      postings from one host to another, it is possible to see a
>      response to a message before seeing the original.  Giving context
>      helps everyone.

Technology changes too. I remember the days of UUCP-based Netnews, but it hasn't been that
way in ages. Out-of-order receipt is no longer an issue, and nearly all mail clients show
threads, so it's not hard to see the context of a reply.

> But do not include the entire original!

I can't help noticing you included Andy's entire original, Benoit :)

—Jens