couchdb-l10n mailing list archives

From Garren Smith <gar...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Top posting in threads on the list's
Date Fri, 24 Jan 2014 08:30:05 GMT
Hi Andy,

Thats a great idea, look forward to the guidelines because I could use the help.

Cheers
Garren

On 24 Jan 2014, at 10:26 AM, Andy Wenk <andy@nms.de> wrote:

> Garren,
>
> On 24 January 2014 08:45, Garren Smith <garren@apache.org> wrote:
> It is good to have these discussions, my only concern is that we scare off people that
are worried about sending a message to the mailing lists and getting it wrong. There was an
email earlier today where that happened to some degree. I'm all for some helpful guidelines
but we don't want to end up coming across as those people that complain about what way a message
is sent.

> scaring people is a no-no-go. That was definitely not the intention of the discussion.
So, I would like to write a summary to all lists with some easy to understand and helpful
guidelines. I think they should be really liberal-minded. Unfortunately I will not make that
happen today but can make it tomorrow. If anyone else wants to take this part just go ahead

> Thanks a lot for pointing this out!
>
> Cheers
>
> Andy
>
> On 23 Jan 2014, at 9:27 PM, Jens Alfke <jens@couchbase.com> wrote:
>

> > On Jan 23, 2014, at 1:03 AM, Benoit Chesneau <bchesneau@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Just following http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1855 is good.
> >
> > Etiquette changes over time, and this RFC is nearly 20 years old. Complaining about
top-posting is very "Get off my lawn, kids!"

> > I try to inline-post, except if I'm composing on a phone. But I don't much mind
what style people use, as long as they don't quote the entire message and then add a line
somewhere in the middle of it.

> >>     Since NetNews, especially, is proliferated by distributing the
> >>     postings from one host to another, it is possible to see a
> >>     response to a message before seeing the original.  Giving context
> >>     helps everyone.
> >
> > Technology changes too. I remember the days of UUCP-based Netnews, but it hasn't
been that way in ages. Out-of-order receipt is no longer an issue, and nearly all mail clients
show threads, so it's not hard to see the context of a reply.