couchdb-l10n mailing list archives

From Octavian Damiean <odami...@linux.com>
Subject Re: How to translate well known english words?
Date Thu, 21 Nov 2013 17:40:32 GMT
Well, request and response have well known German words too. Those
translate to Anfrage and Antwort.

Just as the two already mentioned words have a valid and meaningful
translation, replication and compaction do too. Replizierung and
Verdichtung.

I can't come up with a translation for view but I'd say if we already
translate we should translate everything we can if it is meaningful.

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 6:12 PM, Andy Wenk <andy@nms.de> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am asking myself how we translate well known english words in the context
> of CouchDB. These words are for example:
>
> * view
> * request
> * response
>
> and furthermore
>
> * replication
> * compaction
>
> and so on ...
>
> In my opinion, we should keep these words and do not translate them. When
> we have sth. like
>
> "Request the database with the following URL"
>
> we could translate it to (in German):
>
> "Sende einen Request mit der folgenden URL an die Datenbank"
>
> What is your opinion here? When we found a solution, we should do that in
> all languages - if possible.
>
> Please remember, that there is also the navigation point "Terminology"
> where we should insert these decisions.
>
> Cheers
>
> Andy
>
> --