couchdb-l10n mailing list archives

From Andy Wenk <a...@nms.de>
Subject Re: Confirmation for joining the CouchDB translation team
Date Sun, 24 Nov 2013 21:52:31 GMT
Hi Ido,

thanks for asking ;-) These are really important questions. Please send
your questions always to the list ...

On 24 November 2013 19:33, Ido Ran <ido.ran@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I've start to translate but I already have some questions:
> 1. Is there a way to start this? There are so many strings to translate do
> you have any good system to attack this?

just start somewhere. I recommend to start with contributing.po and then
wit everything in intro.

>  2. I've read your known words talking and want to know, in Hebrew
> specifically it's sometime hard to translate technical term and much better
> to leave it as is, for example CouchDB, HTTP and others, is that OK to
> simply leave it in English. Force translate will not result in high quality
> any way.

Yes - please leave them as they are in English. Clarity and understanding
is more important than perfect language. Maybe you can check some other
documentation written in Hebrew and concerning the web.

> 3. The hardest thing about translating is keeping the context, I don't
> know how to make sure this is good except reading the result translation in
> the real context in which it will be used. Is that possible? To see the
> result text or we can do that only after translating everything and then do
> a round of fixes?

Thats true and as of today, the creation of the translated documentation is
not implemented yet. Alex is working on this. I think for now you should
always have the documentation page (docs.couchdb.org) open to have an idea
about the context. Does that help?

Cheers

Andy

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 4:23 PM, Andy Wenk <andy@nms.de> wrote:

>> Dear Ido,
>>
>> we are pleased to welcome you at the CouchDB translation team.
>>
>> The translations for CouchDB are being made with the help of the ASF
>> translation service. Please find the service here:
>>
>> https://translate.apache.org/projects/CouchDB/
>>
>> We have created an ASF translation service account for you. Your username
>> is:
>>
>> idoran
>>
>> Before you are able to login the first time, you have to set a password.
>> To do so, please use the "Lost your Password?" process here:
>>
>> https://translate.apache.org/accounts/password/reset/
>>
>> You will receive an email with a link for resetting your password. Please
>> click the link and follow the instructions.
>>
>> After you have set a password, please login here:
>>
>> https://translate.apache.org/accounts/login
>>
>> You are now ready to start with translating. To make the start a bit
>> easier for you, we have created a Wiki page, where you can find useful
>> information regarding your translation work:
>>
>>  https://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Translation
>>
>> If you have any questions, please don't wait to ask on the
>> l10n@couchdb.apache.org mailing-list.
>>

>> On behalf of the CouchDB translation Team,
>>
>> Andy
>>
>> --
>> Andy Wenk
>> Hamburg - Germany