couchdb-l10n mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Alexander Shorin <kxe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Suggested process for integrating l10n into the CouchDB source
Date Wed, 23 Oct 2013 10:00:18 GMT
Hi Andy!

Guide looks good, but let's see how we could integrate with Pootle
service at t.a.org . Currently, I wonder how to register there and how
it handles repository files. Also, I think that it's better to hack
into Makefile to let command `make html` build html docs for all
available languages and so forth - this should simplify build process
a lot.
--
,,,^..^,,,


On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 1:49 AM, Andy Wenk <andy@nms.de> wrote:
> On 21 October 2013 23:46, Andy Wenk <andy@nms.de> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have written together a suggestion for integrating i10n into the CouchDB
>> source. Pleas take this as a draft. I have no deeper insights into the
>> organization of the build process of CouchDB yet so I expect that some of
>> my suggestions are not working. But I want to get things rollin' ;-)
>>
>> prerequisites:
>>
>> / install sphinx-intl
>>
>> 1.) add the following to share/doc/src/conf.py
>>
>>   locale_dirs = ["../locale/"]
>>   gettext_compact = False
>>
>> 2.) create the folder share/doc/locale
>>
>> 3.) create .pot files in share/doc/locale/pot
>>
>>   cd share/doc/src
>>   sphinx-build -b gettext . ../locale/pot
>>
>> 4.) create language target folders in share/doc/locale
>>
>>   sphinx-intl update -p ../locale/pot -l de -l fr
>>
>> Now we have a lot of .po files. These files are needed for translation. As
>> we want to use the pootle service we need to transfer the .po files to
>> https://translate.apache.org/projects/CouchDB/. I am not sure how this
>> has to be done as I don't know the service there.
>>
>> 5.) when the .po files are translated, we put them back into the folder
>> locale and convert them into a binary format .mo
>>
>>   sphinx-intl build
>>
>> 6.) the last step is to create the html files. I suggest to have them in a
>> language folder under share/www
>>
>>   share/www <- en
>>   share/www/de
>>   share/www/fr
>>
>> This is where share/doc/build/makefile.am has to be adjusted. It can be
>> done with this (from share/doc/src):
>>
>>   sphinx-build -b html -d src/doctrees . ../www/en
>>   sphinx-build -b html -D language='de' -d src/doctrees . ../www/de
>>   sphinx-build -b html -D language='fr' -d src/doctrees . ../www/fr
>>
>> Now we have made translated html files from one source. You can see a
>> little translation in share/doc/www/de/contributing.html (just to prove
>> that it works ;-) ).
>>
>> 7.) If we added new sources (.rst) to the documentation we create .pot
>> files with
>>
>>   sphinx-build -b gettext . ../locale/pot
>>
>> as seen in 1.). Then we have to update the .po files with this command:
>>
>>   sphinx-intl update -p ../locale/pot
>>
>> If we add a new language, we invoke:
>>
>>   sphinx-intl update -p ../locale/pot -l 'es'
>>
>>
>> I have put the result into the branch l10n at git@github.com:
>> andywenk/couchdb.git
>>
>> I would love to get your feedback, thoughts, ideas and finally somebody
>> who is doing the implementation or helping me to do it so that I can send a
>> PR.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Andy
>> --
>> Andy Wenk
>> Hamburg - Germany
>> RockIt!
>>
>>
> I forgot to mention that there is already
> https://translate.apache.org/projects/CouchDB/ and that we should use this
> service. So we need also a process to deliver the .po files there ... not
> sure how this has to be done ...
>
> --
> Andy Wenk
> Hamburg - Germany
> RockIt!

Mime
View raw message