couchdb-erlang mailing list archives

From Dave Cottlehuber <...@jsonified.com>
Subject Learning Erlang/OTP and CouchDB internals together
Date Fri, 16 Nov 2012 19:05:43 GMT
Many thanks for all replies on my other thread!

Erlang is amazing, and CouchDB obviously, but there's a big hurdle between
the handful of erlang books, and real-world expert development.

My (selfish!) original intent of asking for this list to be created was
to use CouchDB as a convenient playground / reference point for improving
my erlangz, and ultimately end up with some contributable code. And I
hope that this approach will be a great thing for many of us in the
same situation, and in the long term, also grow our community &
committers too.

So I am *really* keen for this to be as much of a group approach as possible,
and spend time reviewing other's solutions etc, more so than just hacking
away in a closet. We could set up a shared git repo if you all like, or
just swap patches/gists over email. Whatever works.

If you like the approach, the first one I suggest is about configuration, and we
can check back in a week. I'd be rapt if this works out and others
propose some topics along the way too.

Homework :-)

1. how are configs loaded at startup in CouchDB?
2. how they're subsequently mutated/abused over the _config REST API?
3. how are these events managed elsewhere e.g. in couch httpd when IP changes?
4. compare with the sys.config approach used in OTP [1]
5. can you see a way to have the best of both worlds?

I'll send my findings through early next week.

A+
Dave

[1]: http://www.erlang.org/doc/design_principles/applications.html#id74029