couchdb-erlang mailing list archives

From Dave Cottlehuber <...@jsonified.com>
Subject starting on metrics
Date Mon, 12 Nov 2012 15:23:48 GMT
I'm a big fan of measuring stuff, so here's a branch that upgrades
couchdb_stats_collector to track stuff, including vm stats and
GET/POST/PUT requests etc. You need graphite installed for this to
work.

https://github.com/dch/couchdb/compare/metrics

http://i.imgur.com/qvGMA.png as you can see I've not got a lot of traffic.

then start "couchdb -i" and enter `application:start(estatsd).` when
you have a chance.

There are a few issues, suggestions welcomed:

- how should the application estatsd be started (or disabled) from couch?
- how should I pick up the config for graphite (port, server etc)?
- how does it work under load?
- I need to alias the non-vm counters so that you can see which
host/instance/db they come from
- any other interesting metrics? it's possible to split on
/db/_ddoc/... for example as well
This will likely require hacking lots of modules. Not so sure about
how to do that cleanly, suggestions welcomed!

etc.

If somebody has a development couch that gets a bit of traffic I'd
love to get this up & running with you.

Once the larger issues are worked out I'll push this to apache/couchdb.

Finally, I'd like to get it all working with riemann[1] which is an
order of magnitude cooler, but that's a fair bit more work and
dependent on some fast moving libraries. The erlang library for
riemann seems overly complex & has some bugs so that needs fixing
first.

A+
Dave

[1]: http://aphyr.github.com/riemann/index.html