couchdb-erlang mailing list archives

From Ben Anderson <...@cloudant.com>
Subject Re: starting on metrics
Date Fri, 16 Nov 2012 07:13:24 GMT
On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 7:58 PM, Paul Davis <paul.joseph.davis@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Well, it would be nice to provide a clean internal API for storage,
>> then use that for the default HTTP plugin, yeah?
>>

> Not sure what you mean by storage here. I would say the first step is the
> API for collection which is just the "couch_stats:incr(Key)" type of
> discussion. The HTTP plugin would then just be a thing that provides an
> implementation for those functions and has an HTTP handler to report.For
> more complicated bits like statsd/riemann/collectd the plugin would just do
> what's necessary to forward on the collected metrics.

More specifically I mean a split between metrics insertion ("storage")
and metrics retrieval. That would make it straightforward to enable
two simultaneous retrieval interfaces (e.g., Collectd and HTTP), since
they wouldn't include conflicting implementations of an insertion API.

Probably better just to write this than awkwardly debate the
semantics. I'm sure you'll like it when it's done, Paul. ;)