couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Joan Touzet <woh...@apache.org>
Subject Getting started on CouchDB 3.0, and an introduction
Date Wed, 07 Aug 2019 15:52:01 GMT
Hi everyone,

Now that we have a path forward for FoundationDB, we also need to get
moving on our best-and-greatest CouchDB-as-is release, namely the 3.x
branch.

If we were to cut CouchDB 3.0 from master today, we'd already have a lot
of great new things since 2.3.1:

* Partitioned DBs
  * Open PRs: https://github.com/apache/couchdb-documentation/pull/385
* Cloudant-donated industrial-strength IOQ replacement
* Cloudant-donated compaction daemon replacement ("smoosh")
* Cloudant-donated view warmer ("ken")
* Ready for Cloudant Search, if installed separately (no recompile)
* Native shard splitting functionality
* Improved test suite (JavaScript -> Elixir)
* Erlang 22 support
* Fix for rare fsync error encountered by Postgres in 2018

But we planned for a few more things for 3.0, as you can see in the
"Proposed 3.x" column here:

  https://github.com/apache/couchdb/projects/1

It would be good for us to decide which of these are making it into 3.0
itself. At a minimum, we need #1534. I am actively working on #1523, and
I know Jan is actively working on #1524.

There's also the backlog column - we should determine if any of those
make sense for 3.0 as well. I see a few I'd love to have in there
personally, but don't have the time to commit to them just now.

---

Also, allow me to introduce Deni Burroughs, who has been lurking on the
list for a while now. Deni is the dbcore Cloudant Engineering Manager,
and she'd like to help coordinate getting 3.0 out the door. Her area of
expertise is in non-technical project management, which is great,
because we could use more help in keeping our cats corralled! :)

She and I had a chat a few weeks ago, and now seemed like the best time
to introduce her to the list. Please make her feel welcome!

-Joan