couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Chintan Mishra <chin...@rebhu.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] A direction from a non-contributor
Date Thu, 11 Jul 2019 05:18:40 GMT
Hello Joan!!

On 11/07/19 8:02 AM, Joan Touzet wrote:
> Hi Chintan,
>
> On 2019-07-10 12:40 p.m., Chintan Mishra wrote:

>>> I appreciate that you shared these links. I now understand what I
>>> have to do next.

>>> From Slack conversations, it appears the community has some
>>> inclination towards building a Rust based CouchDB some day. As for
>>> other technologies those changes are not happening today. I do not
>>> propose to start with all the changes at once. Storage engine is a
>>> good place to start.
> [snip]
>
> Have you considered implementing your goals without doing an entire
> rewrite at the same time?
Yes. I have considered this prospect.
> One of the reasons the FoundationDB project is likely to proceed is
> that, by and large, most of the code is being retained. Rewriting the
> entire thing in Rust presents a very large number of challenges, not
> the least of which is finding developers experienced both in Rust as
> well as the minute details of how CouchDB works today.
>
> I'm not saying a full rewrite isn't possible, but it does make your
> proposal significantly harder to achieve.
>
> So my counterquestion to you is: if a rewrite wasn't possible, how
> would you re-work this proposal so that CouchDB could be made more
> friendly for IoT?

I want to support a large set of users experiencing this problem. This
is what I will do:-

 1. Create a library to abstract storing data on IoTs using SQLite and
    sending this to server.
 2. Work on a specification for replication for billion of devices which
    anyone can easily use in their applications

What benefits are being attained by a CouchDB user with FoundationDB move?