couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Chintan Mishra <chin...@rebhu.com>
Subject CouchDB and future
Date Sun, 07 Jul 2019 07:02:38 GMT
Dear team,

Quoting myself from <marketing@couchdb.apache.org>

    ----

>     3. A *way forward for CouchDB is focusing on what it is best*at viz.,
>         being a database for _*C*__luster __*O*__f __*U*__nreliable
>         __*C*__ommodity __*H*__ardware_. Being deploy-able at edge devices.
>         Focusing on this will invite people building for IoTs towards
>         CouchDB. And this will drive a whole new set of users/customers
>         towards CouchDB and IBM's Cloudant project. We already use
>         Cloudant's sync-android and CDTDatastore in our startup's(Rebhu
>         Computing) product.

    ----

    I would like to draw attention to this point. I firmly believe that
    CouchDB can benefit by targeting IoT device developers. IoT
    developers don't want to worry about sending data from edge devices
    to server for processing. CouchDB already has battle-tested
    replication strategy. Extending this for IoT devs will drive the
    next age developers. CouchDB is already made for unreliable systems
    and what is more unreliable than an IoT lying in the sea connected
    with worldwide GSM/CDMA (2G) network.

Quoting Robert Newson's <rnewson@apache.org> response

    It’s a good point but not for the marketing list unless you are talking just about producing
blog posts or other materials to promote couchdb for that market?

    I think to make couchdb more useful for iot would require some development work. Running
couchdb on embedded devices is already a challenge and it’s only going to get harder in
future. As a server side hub, the retention of a small amount of data after document deletion
presents further problems.

    Briefly, this mailing list is for marketing only. If you wish to discuss project direction,
post to the dev mailing list instead.

    Thanks.

@Robert_Newson can you shed some light on the issues that arise while
deploying CouchDB on embedded devices? Also, what is going to get harder
in the future?

--
Chintan Mishra
Founder and CEO