couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From ermouth <ermo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CouchDB and future
Date Wed, 10 Jul 2019 21:22:07 GMT
> And why is q=8 *always* right for a single-node install? To me, it's
> not.

8-cores took ~8% of x86 market at 1st quarter of 2019. 4-cores took 62%.
8-cores of other architectures are even more rare. Single node Couch is
probably a basis of smth small, so it’s reasonable to think single node
Couch is much more likely, I’d say order of magnitude, is installed on smth
having 6 or less cores.

Also it’s more likely that beefy production instances are managed by
qualified devops, who tune ini-s before doing things. From a newbie you
would expect installation with defaults.

At least from above POV q=8 for a single node is definitely suboptimal for
most installations.

ermouth