couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Johs Ensby <j...@b2w.com>
Subject Re: CouchDB and future
Date Tue, 09 Jul 2019 06:56:51 GMT
Chintan,
> On 9 Jul 2019, at 05:50, Chintan Mishra <chintan@rebhu.com> wrote:
>
>> CouchDB 1.x is no longer supported, even for security updates.
> Johs had some interesting points regarding 1.x and their stability. Would you mind sharing
those?
CouchDB 1.x can run uninterrupted for years. We used it to create quite complex web sites
like this https://www.goltens.com This particular site has been managed (tech and content)
by one guy spending a few hours every second week or so. The client, being a multinational
company with most of its business coming through this site got nervous about their site being
hosted on an unknown platform and managed by one guy, and commissioned a fullservice comms
agency to move it to WordPress. They have been trying for 6 months now, and are still not
ready.
I'm not into IoT (yet) but working with a project in developing countries that could need
a large number of local web servers with replication over mobile and service small rural centers
with content and applications to smartphones/tablets over WiFi. CouchDB 1.x will do fine.
CouchDB/PouchDB is good for data collection in areas with poor connectivity and there were
some interesting early use cases, but projects like https://www.kobotoolbox.org/ and https://five.epicollect.net/
have filled this niche.

My love for CouchDB 1.x is mainly related to feature stability as a single-tier platform.
- Build-in web server
- Rewrite/vhost for easy configuration of several access points to the same data (Rewrite
as a JS function was a big step forward for creating advanced routers/API servres, and is
patched into 1.x here https://github.com/b2w/couchdb/blob/Rewrite-function/README.rst)
- Map/Reduce indexing
- the data on disk as one single file, just copy it, move it, back-up, drop it at another
server
- and single-node master-to-master replication is as simple as you can get data sharing, backup,
staging sites, etc. automated or by manual one-click operations
- direct-to-design-document deployment (robust IDE for this here: http://ddoc.me/)

Futon is very functional, but a bit primitive as admin panel. Photon is available as a stronger
tool (better than Fauxton) https://github.com/ermouth/couch-photon
Ddoc Lab and Photon (both by ermouth) are examples of apps that you can drop into any CouchDB
bucket as single design documents.
As such these are excellent examples of how community-generated tools of great value could
evolve arount CouchDB and extend the core project.

Your input was a flash of light when it comes to market orientation.
The big platforms (AWS/Google/Azure) offer more and more developer-friendly solutions, but
their lock-in disadvantage is a huge risk, and IoT and distributed systems is what the world
needs for recillience.
A leaner version of CouchDB would have a very large potential.

Johs